Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 4 weeks ago

What are the odds of having twins?

Everyone keeps telling me I’m gonna have twins if I stay with my boyfriend so now we’re curious!  I’m a girl and I have a twin brother, we’re fraternal, and my boyfriend has a twin brother but they’re also fraternal, I assumed because we’re both fraternal, the chances of having twins are low, but apparently they’re higher?  I hear different answers so what do you guys think?

• Edna

The fact that your boyfriend is a twin has nothing to do with your odds of having twins.

Twinning is determined by the female, and by the number of eggs she happens to release in a given month.. It's not determined by the male. .

If the female releases the usual one egg, she gives birth to only one child .If the female releases two eggs and they are both fertilized, she gives birth to fraternal twins. If she releases one egg and the egg "splits" after fertilization, then she gives birth to identical twins.

The fact that your and your brother are twins may mean that there is a tendency for twinning in your family.

You cant google this because?

• LizB

A tendency toward fraternal twins can run in the maternal line, but not paternal. There *might* be an inheritable tendency for identical twinning in paternal lines, but most research on the frequency of twins indicates that identical twinning is probably just random.

• helene

Your boyfriend has nothing to do with it. Twins are all about eggs, not sperm.

The tendency to release more than one egg at ovulation can be inherited. So you might have a slightly higher chance of having fraternal twins. Or not.

• John P

Just wait for them to be triplets!

• Logan

Twins run in both of your family lines, you are more than likely going to have twins at some point.

• Edna

Twins on HER side of the family make it more likely that she might have twins at some point. The fact that the male has twins on HIS side of the family is immaterial to twinning.

I definitely see twins as a pattern in families. My aunt is a twin and she had twin girls. My uncle is a twin and his wife is also a twin. They had boy/girl twins.

• Edna

Twinning is determined by the female and by the number of eggs she releases in a given month. The male has nothing to do with twinning.