Taytum asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Struggling with an eating disorder?

Been going through an eating disorder and body dysmorphia for a year now. I don’t know what to do. My mind is so messed up.. and as I much I want to get better with my relationship with food. I always go back to my old habits. I cry every time I think to myself that I like the numbers dropping and looking “pretty”. I feel like I can never look at food the same anymore.. can anyone give me advice?:/

I have not gain weight in the past year I keep losing because I have a fear of getting fat again

Food tastes good. Try to enjoy it.

Maybe you should just excercise, but not diet at all.

• David

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest" (Matthew 11:28, KJV).

I want to help you by warning you of the government- they can and will victimize you for expressing your mental issues-so I hope you keep what I will tell you in mind.

They can lock you in a local government run 'mental health' facility if they think you are gravely disabled because of a mental condition (eating disorder can qualify). You instantly lose your rights to your own body and brain. It's terrifying and shocking.

It happened to a female friend of mine who had a eating disorder, and it happened to me because I was yelling at people. They will lie.

Please be careful and know that the government is NOT your friend of helper. Also beware because your family can have you put in the mental health ward too. You really only have yourself to rely on, nobody else can be trusted.

Anerexic skinny looks worse than being thicc, eat some fried butter on a stick!

As the first video shows, teenagers with anorexia do much, much better with family-based treatment than with individual therapy with office visits.

If I'll mention that there's another treatment that's often successful - DBT (video 2).

As this article explains, studies show that relaxation methods help with anorexia, although of course you have to be extremely careful about exercise, as this is usually part of the problem.

https://www.eatingdisorderhope.com/blog/the-benefi...

About relaxation, the research on controlled breathing is amazing. A study with war veterans convinced the VA to recommend this for vets with PTSD. I have details about therapeutic breathing in my answers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPyiddgWlfE

Youtube thumbnail

&t=115s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Stz--d17ID4

Youtube thumbnail

&t=33s

I'll mention that there's another treatment that's often successful - DBT (video 2).

Youtube thumbnail

&t=115s

Youtube thumbnail

&t=33s

• Lila

Eating disorders are complicated and there are many factors involved which vary from person to person what the cause or causes are. A combination of therapy and medications are usually used to treat eating disorders so it's probably something you should talk to your doctor about.

If you cannot afford or access therapy I would recommend trying positive self talk because at the core of most eating disorders is low self esteem and self worth and negative self talk. Each day write in a journal or notebook two things you like about yourself or two things you did well or achieved and the things you are grateful for. This exercise won't "cure" your disorder but it is designed to help you see you are more than just your weight or body. That you have positive qualities that are not body/weight related.

Another suggestion would be to try joining a social group or a sport or even volunteering, something to get you out of your mind so you are interacting with people and feel like you are a part of something or making a difference.

You could also try reading some self-help books. I don't know much about them but some people find them helpful.

I hope you beat this disorder.

So what I understand about body dysmorphia in your case is that you think you are overweight which leads to a disapproval of yourself- when in reality you are not overweight at all and have a hard time enjoying food. Is this accurate?

Please respond cause I want to help but not 100% sure this is the case. And if I'm wrong you can just ignore me and I would understand. I'll check back to see if you've responded.

• Taytum1 month agoReport

Yes in reality I’m not overweight and I do have a hard time enjoying food because I can’t eat anything with high calories or even eat out with family members. My family members think I’m a freak and to just eat and you’ll get better. And it makes me even more sad that they don’t see what’s wrong

• Andy C

Your eating disorder is being caused by being fat and keeping getting fatter. This is caused by overeating.

Plain and simple, right?

Not so much. Society has you believing that YOU are at fault for the overeating and in fact that is completely incorrect.

The body sends the hormone leptin as a signal to the brain to stop eating when your cells are full.

YOURS is never sending that signal, so despite your beltline, your brain thinks THAT YOU ARE STARVING.

In fact, it even sometimes tries to amplify the hormone ghrelin (hunger) to get you to eat more AND lowers your inhibitions about eating.

THAT is what people know as 'binge eating'.

So, what is stopping the hunger off switch?

A dysfunctional liver caused by the regular consumption of fructose via sugar, HFCS, honey, nectar, juice, molasses, maple syrup and white flour products (most breads, crackers and pastas).

Give up your sugar addiction for a month and see what happens.

Source(s): This is how I lost my visceral fat and, more importantly, how I get STELLAR blood test results AND how I have been sick 2× in 3 years. But, what do I know? This answer nearly always generates downvotes, but I understand why. I kicked sugar AFTER I kicked caffeine, opiates, nicotine and alcohol. I know addiction. "Fat Chance..." by Dr. Robert Lustig M.D. (Book that started it all).
    • Andy C

I forgot to mention that my 25yo body dysmorphia evaporated as did my IBS.