Will my car insurance go up if I make a claim when...?

It wasn't in an accident. I just woke up one morning and found my passenger side rear view mirror broken. Who broke it is unknown? I'm tempted to report it, but I'm not sure how it will play out. Will I get punished by my insurance company for asking them to fix it.

• zipper

Most likely not, I had a walnut fall from a tree and they replace the windshield with no increase.

• Edna

That sort of damage is covered under Comprehensive in your insurance policy, and will probably be considered vandalism. After your deductible is applied, your insurance will replace your mirror. Your rates won't go up, because you did nothing to cause the damage.

My car was sideswiped in a medical group parking lot, and the air shocks ruptured in addition to the collision damage. The cost was over $3,600. I reported it, my company paid everything except the deductible, my premium did not increase.

My husband was likewise sideswiped in a store parking lot, and his premium went up when the damage were around $1,500.

It depends on the company.

If you have collision insurance, you probably have a deductible. Possibly the repairs are less than the deducible. So you won't have a claim to reportl

• May

If it was *vandalism" It *could* be covered under the comprehensive portion of your car's policy subject to any deductible that you chose but a police report would have to be filed. My insurance company does not assess a surcharge for a comprehensive claim. Yours? You would have to ask..

Get an estimate for repair from a body shop so you know what it would cost to repair. Then find out if you have a comp. deductible and do the math. Because of a comp. deductible, and the hassle of a police report, In the end, it would probably be easier and cheaper just to pay to replace the mirror out of pocket

If I was you I would go to a junkyard and see if I could locate a mirror of the same color as the one that's broken on your car. You can probably get one for $35 or less. Your insurance company will pay the claim and then they're going to jack your rates up I know my mirror got broke in the car wash. I claimed it on my insurance. They raised my rates so I moved to another company any other company saw that I had a claim and they wanted to charge me $25 more a month after they found out that I had made a claim another insurance company. It's all about risk friend. if you can find the mirror at the junkyard buy it and put it on yourself the only takes a half hour.

• JetDoc

That would probably be covered under the "Comprehensive" part of your insurance policy IF you have that.

Does your insurance policy have a deductible amount? If so, you may find that the cost to repair the damage is less than your deductible, so insurance wouldn't pay anything on your claim anyway.

Visit a couple of auto repair shops and get estimates for the cost to make repairs. THEN you can decide if you want to report it to your insurance.

Geeze, for a mirror? Go to Amazon, type in the make, model, year of the vehicle and the words "side mirror", order a mirror and install it. Prolly looking at 30 or 40 bucks. Replacing a mirror takes 5 minutes, 10 or 15 if you've never taken off a door trim panel before. You can find a youtube video that'll teach you how to do that, too.

Just hope you don't have some ridiculously expensive mirror. Most aren't. A few are, depending on what's in them.

Welcome to 2019.

• Roman1 month agoReport

I wish it was just replacing the mirror. The piece is electronic. They didn't break the mirror more than pull on it. They tore some of the wiring inside.

You might. You probably have a deductible so you would likely end up paying most of the repair cost.

• .

Mine did not when I was bushwacked in parking lot when car parked and unoccupied