Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentOther - Politics & Government · 1 month ago

When will the government tell us how many calories to consume?

The UK government has banned sugar, by companies MUST use aspartame in soft drinks, soon this law will extend to milkshakes, cakes, candies, chocolates etc.

The government has also banned Big Macs, you can't have fries and a hamburger (One or the other), you can't use butter and the government has passed laws limiting calorie counts on restaurant meals (no more than 900 calories a meal)

It must be wonderful having a government that cares about you and your health. Will the USA ever have such a government?

@D The UK government did it.

Americans in some states already have their consumption of sugar highly regulated by state law. But generally the mode here is to just shame people out of their bad habits by posting all the nutritional information on every product in the marketplace.

• Zirp

When it has enough excuses.

Seriously when I was in Scotland, people at the Chinese ordered "noodles with fries" and "fried rice with fries". Don't you people eat vegetables?

and not every body tolerates aspartame

The government can tell people whatever it wants, it's ENFORCING it that's the major issue.

Do you think they'd put security and police in every restaurant, put calorie-counting chips in every citizen, even against their will, and pull a Prohibition-era tactic of sledgehammering every factory and company building that puts sugar/butter/whatever 'contraband' in its products?

I'm serious, that would cost time, money, and manpower, not just to implement, but to maintain. I'm curious how you think that would be at all viable over more than a week.

• D1 month agoReport

Since I can't answer in a separate post because censorship, I'll post here.
      I didn't ask if the UK government could do it, I mean, do you really think the US, a larger country, could feasibly pull it off, given how much area it covers?

I never had a big mac and it has been over an year since I had an hamburger so I think if it was the US government to ever mess with this right people won't let it go and how far can government get with so many people and controlling them all and telling them all no sugar in your coffee but government is aloud to and it will not go with the people.