What if someone uses my Wifi?

My router has two channels (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) and 2.4 GHz hasn't been encrypted for a while due to an issues. If someone has squatted the WiFi, a folders of my PC have been shared with them ? or is it possible to do so ?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Best answer

It is possible for someone to use your Wi-Fi network without any encryption. Whether or not they can get on your computer is a different thing. As long as you keep your computer updated and don't have shared files/folders on your PC, you should be mostly fine.

Is there any specific reason why you can't encrypt your 2.4 Ghz network? What "issues" are you facing? And if you can't encrypt it, wouldn't the most logical thing to do be to disable that network?

• When I tried to set a password on my computer which now supports only 2.4 GHz by an old USB LAN card, it was constantly disconnected while it couldn't detect my WiFi on Windows 10 network, so it hadn't been encrypted for a while until re-tried it on another computer because I left it be for 4 hours.

• 4 weeks ago

If you have it password protected, then its not possible

• Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

only if you turned sharing on.

• 4 weeks ago

Your security is compromised, period.

Asking "what if" to a question you already know the answer to, I'm forced to ask why.

My thinking is that, if you can't secure your wifi...

Then it's not YOUR wifi.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Bill-M
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

There are NO Issues that will prevent you from having a Secure WIFI. Go into your Routers settings and set up security.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.