Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 8 months ago

Should I Move Out?

I'm a senior in high school and I'll be turning 18 in November. My boyfriend has offered to share half the rent of an apartment with me.

I want to move out because my parents (especially my Mom) have been controlling my entire life. The constant criticism has always worn me down and makes me feel beaten down and stupid. I won't go into the details - I know a lot of people have it worse off than me.

I'll just say I love them more than anything as people, but as parents they're not so great.

My Mom doesn't want me to move out when I'm 18, and she'd be embarrassed and heartbroken if I did.

I don't know what to do - I'll be a legal adult and I'd have the capability to move out and live with my boyfriend or on my own, but I also know it'll be incredibly difficult on me and it'll be hard on my family.

What do I do?

All that really matters is that you're in the position to continue your education. So if you'd have a better shot at doing that by living at home that's where you belong. If you can somehow work enough to afford to pay half the rent in an apartment with your boyfriend and still take a full class load at school that would be an option too. But don't shoot yourself in the foot by skipping the education you must have to avoid lifelong minimum wage servitude just because you have typical teen strife with your parents. Anything that gets in the way of you completing a four year degree or at least a vocational certification is simply not acceptable.

If you are determined to move out, then move out. But please do not move in with your boyfriend until you have been on your own, running your own life, for at least two years.

You need to break the apron strings with your mom. You will be an adult. It will be your choice from now on.

• Tepee

You can legally move at 18 but consider the dangers of your relationship failing and the risk of alienating yourself from your parents and having no opportunity to return home.

i would move out if thats what you want to do, they cant stop you

Do it. Staying with a highly unsupportive parent will make you regret it beyond imagination. Be careful of course, both you and your boyfriend should try very hard to make it work, every day. For your personal development and integrity as a person this would be best. If your mother can't take it then that's her problem, not yours.

• Vicki

How long have you and your boyfriend been dating? If not that long, then no. I would look to any friends seeking roommates. If long, then I don't see why not.

Don't put how your mother feels before your own feelings. Put your feelings first. If you really don't think you want to leave sit down with your mom. Talk to her, and tell her how she makes you feel. Let her know that this offer is open to you, and if she can't be a little kinder then you're okay with moving out. See if that changes her behaviour.