Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 10 months ago

Help, my accent...?

I'm German, i watch Youtube in english from the start (i'm a teenager), but some friends who are british are offending my english because according to them i got the american accent instead of the british, how do i get to speak with a british accent

WHICH British accent? There are so damned many!

I think it is probably easier and simpler to have an "American" accent, and that's better for you and all who must listen to you.

An American accent is generally easier to understand than a British accent.

Your friends seem a bit dickkopfig to me.

Source(s): An American Never give up on your dreams!

If you do the "American" accent properly...you HAVE no accent. You can inform your idiot friends...you are trying to be as CLEAR as possible when speaking English...and Standard American English HAS NO ACCENT. Granted there are DOZENS of English accents...so you are speaking with NONE and you are CLEAR. I actually have FUN speaking with an OUTRAGEOUS GERMAN ACCENT when speaking English...cause its FUNNY.  I can do it with other Nations too....TRY AUSTRALIAN...KRIKEY MATE...let's have some PRAWNS on the BARBIE! (French is fun...so is Italian) Have you ever seen PETER SELLERS MOVIES? Inspector Clouseau! 

• hi

I don't understand how you can have an "american accent" if your native language is german and you have never lived in the United States..

No matter which one you still will have a German accent.

Don't worry about it. Just smile and say, 'Sorry, can't help it' then change the subject.

They'll get used to your accent in a while.

• Zirp

No point in accomodating stupid chauvinists. You already took the huge effort of learning their ( probably only) language, and now they want you to invest years of work into getting an accent they approve? Get real!

your friends arent really that nice if they are going to say something about your accent. i have a japanese accent sadly, i couldnt learn british or american accent

• Sparky

Your friends should be kinder to you.

Just concentrate on learning English, who cares about your accent.

Pretty shallow friends. Why do they care that you speak a second language with a different dialect?

• John P

You should watch films ("movies" is American"!) ant TV programmes which you know are made in Britain with British actors. You should also cultivate friends in Britain, or the USA, or both, in order to help you write well in English.

Did you learn English from somebody who was a poorly-educated non-native speaker of any sort of English?

I'm Brazilian and it's the same with me, my accent is mostly American lol. I suggest you to start watching some British movies and TV shows, I like Monty Python. I see a lot of Americans saying that they can't understand what the British say, but I actually find it pretty easy to understand both accents.