Hi, If I want to setup a computer network when do I use a patch cable and when do i use an Ethernet cable?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • BigE
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Best answer

There is no modern reason for a crossover. We threw them out because people grabbed them and did not check the ends and could not figure out why they don't work.

Most switches now are MDIX, which autosenses the cable type.  Crossover only good for switch to switch or pc to pc.

Patch and what you call ethernet is the straight thru and the same.  Patches usually are in patch panels which is a shorter run, but can traverse several network racks.

• VP
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Until you're dispatched to a site with old, tired equipment that doesn't use autosensing. Probably why Cisco still teaches it.

• 1 month ago

Maybe you are thinking cross over cable which is only used when two devices need to communicate without a router or switch involved. A patch cable is just a short ethernet cable that might be used to connect a router to a nearby switch or a modem to a nearby router.

• Dave
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Patch cable = ethernet cable. Used to connect different types of devices (PC to Switch)

Crossover cable = ethernet cable. Used to connect same type of devices with no hub/switches (i.e. PC to PC).

• 1 month ago

Many thanks for a speedy reply.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

They are the same thing.  A patch cable is basically usually just a really short ethernet cable.  You just use the length of cable that's most appropriate for what you are hooking up or just what you have.  

• Tim1 month agoReport

Many thanks for a speedy reply!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.