dukey asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Help father is controlling my life and dictating my future.?

I'm going to be a dad soon with my girlfriend and I'm 20 now so i'm now an adult but my dad wont release my trust fund or shares in the family business when I turn 21

He said I'm a stupid little boy who coult keep it in his pants and has used his power to extend my access to these funds out until I turn 30.

What should I do and how can I deal with him controlling my life ?

• sdc_99

Find a lawyer rather than asking for advice on social media.

Your father doesnt owe you a DAMN thing. Go out, get a job and make your own money. WTF does he need to take care of your adult ass. 

• Jane

Firstly, you should get legal advice regarding the change of age from 21 to 30, you may be able to challenge this.

Secondly, it sounds like your relationship with your family is unhealthy (obvs).

As you about to become a father, you want to become an adult in your own right, not just a product of the legacy of the generations that have come before you. You are privileged in having a trust fund at all, however this gift comes with requirement that are controlling. It may be that you can get this money easily and with no 'attachments', however you may have to accept that you can't have it both ways- either you take that gift with all it's rules or you break free and make your own life.

Big life challenge, maybe get some help to think this through, and some legal advice.

What you're asking is not a simple question that can be answered properly by individuals on yahoo answers. It's obvious that with the trust fund, which can be complicated, you'll need the services of an attorney should your father refuse to release it to you. As for the family business, that will depend on its form of structure.

Your inheritance isn't yours until your dad dies. It belongs to your dad, and he can do whatever he wants to with it- including giving it to someone else if he wishes. He's changed his will so you can't get your hands on it till you're 30, because he obviously believes that you aren't mature enough to handle having it right now. 20 is mighty young to be a father. You should be attending college and getting the best education you can, not planning a nursery with your pregnant girlfriend, whom you shouldn't have gotten pregnant in the first place. That's obviously what your dad is thinking, pal. And I don't blame him. I have nephews who are your age, and none of them are planning to be dads yet. They're all in college or are seniors in high school and will start college next year, depending on their ages. And they are wisely going to get themselves established in a professional career before they think about getting married or starting a family. That's what your DAD wanted YOU to do, and he's mighty mad at you because you weren't mature enough or man enough to do it.

My attitude about this is one of tough luck. You made the choice to jump in the sack with your girlfriend and get her pregnant, and now you will have to live with the consequences. Your dad doesn't owe you a living- no one does. So go get a job, and see if you can get into college part time, so that you can at least get a basic degree.

Get a job dude duh

You gotta show him you are a man and make your own way in this world. He's afraid if he gives it 2 you now you will just blow through it, which is a great possibility.

not much you can do about it

Get a job, and don't count on the trust fund. As long as you count on the trust fund, he'll have power over you.

You should tell your father you're not a stupid little boy you are a man,

And as a man, you need to take care of your girlfriend and baby too,

Tell him that takes money so why are you being so difficult about this.

• kristin

Man up! Get a job. Enroll in school, even part-time.