2 eggs released during ovulation can only ONE get fertilized?

Is it possible that you can release two eggs (like when you have twins),  but only ONE gets fertilized? If so what happens to the other egg? Does it shed like a normal period? 

Yes, it's possible. In fact, it probably happens a lot more often than anyone will ever realize, because each egg has a 20-25% of being fertilized, whether it's released at the same time as another egg or alone.

The egg would simply die, just like any other egg that's not fertilized. A period doesn't shed the egg, it sheds the endometrium.

• LizB

Both eggs would probably be fertilized, but the development of one may arrest, either prior to implantation or soon after. It's estimated that at least half of ALL conceptions fail to result in a healthy full-term infant, so implantation failure or lack of viability is hardly uncommon.

I actually had this happen to me. My first pregnancy was via IUI, and I had two mature follicles on the day I was told to trigger (take a hCG injection to ensure timely ovulation). That means two eggs were released and were probably both fertilized, but I wound up pregnant with a singleton. My first ultrasound was a 5w3d, and there was just one yolk sac. The logical conclusion is that the other fertilized egg wasn't viable and didn't even make it as far implantation. I was perfectly fine with that, though, since I had no desire for twins at all.

• Suzy Q

A period doesn't shed an egg. It sheds uterine lining. By the time that happens, an unfertilized egg is long gone.

It's always very possible for an egg to not be fertilized. 

• helene

It's always possible for any egg to NOT be fertilized. An egg only lives for about a day.

If it is not fertilized, it dies, decays, and disintegrates just like any other cell.

• Lôn

No!....BOTH can be fertilized...this is how fraternal twins are produced. Some women on fertility tablets can produce MORE than 2 eggs at one time that's how triplets, quadruplets, quintuplets, septuplets and octuplets are born.

Identical twins are formed when ONE egg is fertilized and then splits up into 2

You can't get identical triplets or quads etc.