Hi I have a cousin who is a us born citizen but his parents are undocumented. Is he still eligible for the fafsa to go to college?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • nancy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Best answer

Yes. As long as he is a citizen, it doesn't matter what the status of his parents is. However, they will still need to include information about their income and assets on the FAFSA. If they earned enough to be required to file a tax return, they must file the return in order for the student to be eligible This can be difficult if the parents are working under the table, which is sometimes the case with undocumented individuals. Because of the current political climate, many of the undocumented parents I have been working with are afraid to give any information to the government, such as appying for a Taxpayer Identification Number or filing a tax return. I've also seen that many of them are very reluctant to put information on the FAFSA. It's very understandable, but unfortunately, those are the federal regulations and the school won't have much choice about it.

• 1 month ago

Yes, of course. Trump keeps pretending he can revoke birthright citizenship, but he can't.

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes. Your cousins parents’ citizenship or immigration status does not affect eligibility for federal student aid. In fact, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) form doesn’t even ask about parents’ status.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Send the parents back to Japan and he will for sure be eligible considering his circumstances.

Fixed it.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Send his parents back to Mexico so they can pick more beans and let your cousin live in a house with 27 people like a true Mexican-American

• Jay
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

have them read the rules for themselves.............. its very bad to trust what random online strangers tell you

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.