Why is Slash the exception?

How many other guitarists (or other band members) do you know that doesnt  also sing and/or have the band named after him/her? Now add up the totals with everyone in the world and Slash will be on everyone's list. 

Nothing against him cause he is great but I'm curious how he became so popular when any other non singing musician is far behind in popularity. 

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

He didn’t just start out as Slash he was already popular due to his former band Guns N’ Roses. Have you ever heard “Welcome to the Jungle” or “Sweet Child O’ Mine” or “November Rain”? That was Slash. After GN’R broke up Slash still had songs to write so he formed a new band. He has always been extremely shy and dreads any form of public speaking much less singing and also hates the sound of his own voice. Plus when you saw him he just oozed cool he looked like a hat with hair and a constantly lit cigarette. And his name was Slash. And he

ROCKS!!!

But he isn’t the only “exception” there is also the Kenny Wayne Sheppard band, Santana and Van Halen for example. You must be pretty young I’m guessing.

• Steve
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

I think it mostly had to do with his look. It is an iconic look and he can play guitar with the best of them. Past and present.

• 4 weeks ago

There are always exceptions. And those exceptions are not always met with acceptance. And Slash does occasionally sing, mostly as a second act. And some of his best known stuff. He had a hand in writing. Whether as a co-writer or as the only writer. He also wrote for multiple bands, one of which is one of the biggest bands of the 80s. Slash is know first as a guitarist. His popularity came about because of outside factors. Its a side effect of fame. One that can wreck havoc on someone. It did Slash and countless other artists.

• mars
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Jeff Beck or Frank Zappa are better, and can't sing well.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

He is not a solo act. He does not need to sing. Other guitarists, such as B.B. King, Jimi Hendrix, Peter Frampton, George Harrison, Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and Jorma Kaukonen, have to be singers to make it as a solo act.

Pete Townshend sang a lot, but he is not a good singer. Duane Allman couldn't sing either. He had to ask his brother Greg, who is a singer, to join him to form the Allman Brothers Band. J. Geils is a guitarist who did not sing, and his band is the J. Geils Band, with Peter Wolf as the singer.

• 4 weeks ago

He got famous from his guitar playing. Dude, look this stuff up before you post questions. That way you dont end up tripping yourself like you did with this question.

Source(s): nothing
  • 4 weeks ago

its mostly about the hat.

• WUWR
      Lv 6
      4 weeks agoReport

Ha! That was my take too.

• 4 weeks ago

Well it's because of three main reasons I'd say.

1. When you see Slash, you know it's Slash. He totally has his own look. He's instantly recognizable.

2. Guns N'Roses were an absolutely huge band in the late 80's and early 90's, and ever since that time his look has been almost universally recognized as him, Slash. And since Axl disappeared for years after GnR broke up, Slash was the main guy the media reported on and covered because his look as I mentioned is almost like a known brand as I previously alluded. Image wise, Axl and Slash always garnered the media attention far more than the other guys. With Axl's Houdini act, Slash became the one man face of one of the biggest rock bands in the history of the world. So then after that, he went on to form his Snake Pit and such which was only given press because of his past, recognized look and talent.

3. He's damn good, he became an inspiration to countless guitar players when he himself was quite young with gnr.

• Andrew
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Apparently you've never heard of Slash's Snakepit.

Attachment image
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Why should great musicians be required to sing? Or great singers need to be ample players? You either can or can’t. It’s all personal preference. I don’t see the point you’re trying to make.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.