Kush asked in SportsFootball (American) · 1 month ago

Did officiating cost the Lions the game or no?

Lions defensive end Trey Flowers was called for a hands to the face penalty on the play, wiping out a Kevin Strong sack and causing an uproar on social media, the TV broadcast and the Lions' sideline. 

Replay of the penalty showed Flowers leveraged his hands near the shoulder pads of a Packers offensive lineman, and the ESPN Monday Night Crew agreed, with color commentator Booger McFarland saying that the play should be challengable. 

The play was the first of two controversial hands to the face penalties called against Flowers in the fourth quarter. Both led to Green Bay points. Here's what happened:

Give me best answer

Source(s): www.maga.com

Don't really care one way or the other.

• nappa

Yes it did but nothing will be done about it,,money is what the NFL is all about anymore.take notice why do teams change players so much every year,, money, they bring a lesser paid player in and cut the more expensive one just to save money, who cares who wins,make money is what is has turned into today.. hardly ever watch it any more..fans are getting ripped off . paying to see pros play when they are not, so many penalties and mistakes which should not be made at that level of play,

• y

I do believe the two hands to the face combined with the no call on the interference. Is what allowed Green bay to win. All were in key situations on key drives.

Lions had 50 chances to score to win the game

• ctc453

Not necessarily the game but it cost them an opportunity for another posession to try and win

If the lions lose, it's due to bad officiating

• ctc453

Football isn't rigged. It's just bad officiating. Vegas plays no role

To tell you the truth, I thought the refs were excellent. They made some great calls. I don't think it cost the Lions the game. Aaron Rodgers is just too good. Some people say that there were two bad calls concerning Trey Flowers. They said he unfairly got flagged for hands to the face. But the refs called it correctly. The Packers are just too good. There was another play in which a Lions player got flagged for unnecessary roughness by trying to go for an interception and his helmet accidentally hit the helmet of the Packers receiver. That was another fair call. Yeah, I think the refs did great tonight. The Packers are a great team.

No, like I said in other posts, the Lions failure to capitalize on turnovers is what cost them the game.

The Hands to the Face penalty is also applies to the neck area and on both of those calls in real time and from the point of view of the ref it does very well look like hands to the neck, and they will call that pretty much every time.

When you slow it down and look at all the angles then you can see, that it's minimal and not really hands to the face, but the refs don't have the ability to slow down time, and no it should not be reviewable, because it will only waste more time, and just like the PI calls which are now reviewable, they will never overturn them anyway.

• OceanOfLove

I don't see anyone complaining about the only touchdown the lions scored, which actually wasn't, took them 4 tries to get 1 yard and they couldn't do it, the refs gave it to them out pity's sake. Why aren't you complaining about that?

That's okay. The referees are always against the Lions. I speak as a Packers' fan. This game and Aaron Rodgers' hail mary are a fluke.