An optical drive most of the time 'sees' CD's but not DVD's. Is that usually a hardware or software fault?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Best answer

If the drive is both a CD and DVD drive and it's not reading DVDs there's something wrong with the drive. If you put the DVD drive in and the DVD shows up when you click open and you can see the files but you can't play it you likely have Windows 10 which has no DVD decoder built into it VLC media player is the answer it's free.

• 1 month ago

Hi. It could be either - if the DVD drive is older (I see You mention Win7 & at least 5 years old for the drive itself) ... Then You might actually have an older ' cheaper drive that only supports one type of DVD, either DVD-R or DVD+R discs.

If this is the case, when a company burns on the kind of disc Your drive can't use, You won't "see" the disc. As another poster said, drives are cheap enough now to just replace it with a drive that does all DVDRs, Double-layer DVDRs, & DVD-RAM discs for about $18US.

Then the only thing it won't read is BluRay discs, but You can upgrade to a full burner for about $75US.

As far as software - just download the free "imgburn" software, runs fine on Win7, & does all kinds of discs.

G'Luck!!!

• 1 month ago

You say "most of the time", which implies that sometimes it does work. If that's the case it's doubtless a problem with the drive itself. I'd try replacing it, they're cheap enough. Before you do that, though, I'd try cleaning it. You can get a cleaning disk in most computer and electronic places.

• 1 month ago

Is it a cd +DVD drive, a or just a CD Drive;or just a DVD drive, what brand and model?

• Chris Ancor
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

It is a 'TrueDirect Lite' DVD burner. at least 5 years old.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.