Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAir Travel · 8 months ago

How long after boarding does the plane depart?

Hi. I forgot to ask my friend for her info so I have no way of checking her flight status. She texted me that she was boarding around 1:15pm. She mentioned her flight would probably be 4 hours. It is now 6:11pm but she has not texted me she landed yet. I was wondering how long after “boarding” until the plane finally takes off? Thanks.

• Daniel

Most flights start boarding about 30 minutes or so before the published departure time.  

You can easily look up flight information on the airline's website as well as on sites light flightaware with just departure and arrival cities.  

It depends on rather you're one of the first to board or one of the last. Boarding on the flight I'm on this morning starts before the scheduled flight time by 40 minutes. Then you have to taxi to the runway and wait your turn to take off which can be another 10 to 20 minutes.

• MS

Boarding usually starts 30-45 minutes before departure, and sometimes even 60 minutes before on a long-haul flight. 

Your friend's flight may have experienced delays before takeoff and after boarding.

It depends on the size of the aircraft. Boarding for large airliners usually starts 45 to 60 minutes before scheduled departure.

They usually start boarding a half an hour before the scheduled departure time. We don't know, however, if your friend meant that she was boarding right when she wrote. Maybe she got on at the beginning of the boarding time, or maybe she got on at the end of it.

10-20 minutes

Make sure you guys are talking about the same time zones, because she can be in a different time zone.

its usually a couple of minutes, depends on the plane