Kody asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

What happens when you put baking soda in boiling cooking oil?

So, what would happen if you put baking soda in cooking oil?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • denise
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Well, I dont want to find out, It does'nt sound very wise.

• Lv 7
    1 month ago

um, a big sloppy mess?

not sure what the point is of this question. you can't really eat it either way, so why would you do it?

• 1 month ago

I have no idea because I hate wasting ingredients and there is no point to adding soda to oil, boiling or not.

• 1 month ago

Very little it might fiz is a little bit. Baking soda is commonly used on cooking oil fires.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • CB
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Baking soda is used to put out grease/oil fires in kitchens so the reaction should be minimal as it is also not readily soluble in oil.

"Baking soda is essentially sodium hydrogen carbonate, which should not be expected to react with oil because of its poor solubility. NaHCO3 melts at 50 °C and starts to decompose slowly to sodium carbonate, carbon dioxide and water.

2NaHCO3⟶ Na2CO3+H2O+CO2↑

By the release of carbon dioxide, NaHCO3 acts as a raising agent when used in baking. Under the conditions of deep frying (150-200 °C), the decomposition is fast as the reaction is entropically favored (generation of gases). CO2 and H2O escape from the baking mixture, leaving sodium carbonate behind."

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.