My blood sugar is 190 and I am 80 years old--Is that bad?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Is this a random or fasting blood sugar level ???

• 3 weeks ago

As explained in an early comment, a consistent high reading two hours after a meal is problematic. In a chart that I use to determine my glucose level, a reading of 181 - 240 is Fair---over 240 is poor. A reading of 120-140 is excellent; and between 140-180 is Good. Readings before meals are as follows: 80-120 is Excellent; 121-140 is Good; and 141-200 is Fair. Anything over 200 is Poor. Consistent readings of over 200 before a meal calls for doctor s visit.

I hope this helps.

• 4 weeks ago

At your age , why worry?

• 4 weeks ago

It indicates that you ARE diabetic, ma'am.

Without further testing it's difficult to say just how serious your condition is.  You MUST see your doctor for futher testing to be carried out.  S/he will then decide the correct course of action for you.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Shay
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Sugar levels are constantly changing based on what you eat, what you drink, and what you are doing.  When a test is taken is important to know what levels to expect and what levels would be considered normal for those circumstances.

So - when did you test.  What did you eat or drink before testing.  If you drink a can of sugary soda and then test within 30 minutes after drinking it, then a high reading is possible and would mean nothing at all other than you are testing too soon after eating or drinking something that was high in carbs and sugar content.BUT - if that test is more than two hours after eating or drinking something, then you need to consult your doctor for further testing because that is too high for most situations.

A fasting reading (at least 8 to 10 hours without food or drink) should be between 75 to 99.

A reading taken TWO HOURS after a meal should be below 140.  If you test BEFORE two hours, and you ate a meal heavy in carbs, you MIGHT get a higher reading but it would just mean that your body has not had time to process what you have eaten.  So, a reading of 190 is possible but "harmless" if you are just testing too soon after eating.

Any other random test that doesn't fit those two situations should be between 80 to 120 to be considered normal.

You also need to consider that the test might have been an error.  Expired test strips or something on your hands or testing equipment might cause a reading to be higher or lower than what it really is.

So, take some tests at times when you know what normal levels should be and if you are still getting higher than normal readings, consult your doctor.  Any five readings taken at home that are higher than normal range is a reason to check with your doctor.  

A reading of 190 is too high if the test wasn't done too soon after eating a large amount of carbohydrates or if the test wasn't an error.  

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

it sounds high,you need to talk to your doctor about it

• 4 weeks ago

That is not healthy but there are reports that too much internet will give you the ability to fly

• 4 weeks ago

What does your doctor say?

190 is too high to be healthy for anyone of any age.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.