Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Why does my dog watch my dog eat?

I have two dogs and they have never been aggressive towards each other or anyone else. Nothing bad has ever happened because of it either. This is just a sort of weird behavior I notice sometimes. My older dog will eat at her food bowl and if my younger dog notices, she will walk over and lay down by the bowl and just stare at her until she is finished. She has done this since I got her as a puppy. She will do it even when she isn't hungry as they are (mostly) free fed and she doesn't eat any of the food that my other dog leaves over after she is done. It's no big deal, I am just curious if there is any sort of reasoning behind it :)

I think it is just an individual thing with this particular dog. I don't know why but something fascinates her about the other dog eating.

I bet she has personality plus & does other things that one would different than other dogs. I have taken in many dogs over the last 50 yrs & only a few had something special about them.

• Jojo

Respect for the older dog is probably her motive for doing this, especially as she does not touch any food that is left in the dish.

Dogs can show individual foibles, just as people can.

WE can only `guess`at why they do, what they do at times.

My young male GSD will lay in the kitchen watching me make my breakfast and soon as I stir my coffee he will go and lay out in the garden (he has a dog door). When he hears me washing up the breakfast plates he comes back in the kitchen again. Its just his own little foible that he does off his own back. I have never given him any commands to go out of the kitchen etc.

PS: I`m pretty sure if your younger dog made a move towards the older dog eating from the bowl, that the older dog would `tell it off` in no uncertain terms.

Source(s): GSD owner for 56 years.

I'd totally agree with the Anon who suggests this is pretty simple - so feed them in separate rooms and don't let them back together until both have finished and the bowls picked up. Dogs are opportunists, and the one is hoping the other will leave something! But eventually, it may well go to a fight.

We had any number of hounds which was fine at first as they all ate up at roughly the same time. Once we started having oldies, who were slower eating, I had to stand guard until the oldies had finished, or the younger ones would well have pitched in!!

I feed my dogs at the same time from different dishes (yes, my sister feeds both of her dogs from the same dish. Stupid, I agree).

The older always waits until the younger is finished before she begins eating. Neither dog is aggressive or protective. This has never been any different.

Oh come on it's pretty simple folks. The younger dog is watching and hoping that the older dog (her hero) will allow her to join in and eat with her or will leave/give some food to her. It's exactly the reason my dogs and everyone else's dogs watch them eat.

• SG

How often does your puppy do this?

How often does the younger dog exhibit "what is the boss doing" behavior?