What's going on with my John Deere Mower?

Mowed great til last week. Even in LIGHT grass, the mower deck seems to slow down and stop cutting all together. Engine doesn't bog down, or even sputter....I seem to hear a slight "ticking" noise now as well. Any suggestions? Again.. Engine runs fine...mower deck slows down in light cutting...

• elhigh

Check that the belt isn't worn out. Sounds like a stretched belt, possibly with some frayed sections. Bits of belt sticking out would be the source of the ticking sound.

Belt is loose or the PTO is slipping.

Time for a tune up. You have put it off for too long...when grass can stop it.

Check you belts or bearings on your deck.

I don't know but it probably has something to do with the blade, depending on what type of john deere mower you use. I'd recommend you touch nothing and bring the mower to the local station to get it serviced. More often then not, people try to fix these things and can end up making matters worse.

• Alex

Check the oil, check to make sure that the blades are sharp (sharpen them or replace as needed), make sure there's not buildup in the deck that the blade could be hitting, spin the blade (slowly) to make sure nothing is hitting the sides of the deck...

• it might be too cold to mow the lawn.