Tom asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 month ago

How do I stop my parents from calling me childish variations of my name? If this unfair? Why are they being like that? ?

My name is Toby, and I've requested to my parents that they called me that. My mum responed with massive reluctantly and disapproval saying that these names were affectionate. I said that I preferred Toby, and I'd really like it if she called me that.

I'm 22, but they still insist on calling me Tobs and Tobes. I don't like it. 

They seem to 'forget' and I've reminded them about 5 times in the past 5 days. At first I assumed a mistake but they put no effect in, and keep doing it.

They won't stop calling me those names.and it's getting my angry because they are purposely going against wheat ive requested.

Any advice?

Why are they ignoring me on purpose?

Tell them how you feel 

Wow active users popping

• Eva

Old habits die hard. If they've been calling you that for 22 years, it's going to be very difficult for them to change, especially in just 5 days.

• Teal

They don't want to make the effort to change their habits and assume you will get it over it. It isn't malicious, but it is rude. If you want to be taken seriously, refuse to answer to the pet names and ignore them completely until they use the correct one. It will be an annoying and tedious time for all of you, but you will wear them down in the end.

If they’ve been calling you that all your life, I think it’s just a habit. I don’t think they’re being malicious about it.

You need to lighten up. You sound like an entitled snowflake.

That sounds like the type of conversation a normal son would never have with his parents. It is rude and probably hurtful to them.

What you request would only be OK in a corporate setting or when introducing you to strangers.

Start calling your parents by other names and see how they like it.

grow up and call them names ig