Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicOther - Entertainment · 1 month ago

What's the point of debating people?

they just end up insulting me and derailing the argument.

That's called ad hominem and I can understand how you feel. Apart from engaging in ad hominem, I find people have a tendency to strawman -- arguing something you're not even arguing to invalidate you. Or they're prone to the false dilemma fallacy, in which any disagreement is automatically seen as support for the opposing viewpoint. People who think in absolutes are prone to this and it's hard to have open conversation with them. In my last debate, someone said I'm not supposed to use logic to make points and proceeded to invalidate the argument via emotional drivel, not sound reasoning (you're wrong because I say so!). That said, debating people can still be worth it though.

The primary reason I debate is because I want the person the prove me wrong and open my eyes; to tear apart my logic and show me a differing viewpoint via sound reasoning, so I can add their knowledge to my own. It seldom has anything to do with actually swaying the viewpoint(s) of the debater, despite their belief that "I'm obsessed" with forcing a narrative upon them (said as a means of discrediting the viewpoint). They clearly misinterpret my motivations, but I can understand why it would be misinterpreted in the first place.

A few other reasons I debate are:

- To practice articulation, critical thinking and formulating an argument supported with logical reasoning.

- To provoke a reaction and see how they respond (as a means of psycho-analysing behavior). It's how I learned what confirmation biases and logical fallacies are.

- To feel something. With a tendency for detachment, if a rebuttal gets me itching to reply as fast as possible, then I am actually thankful to the debater on that affront.

- To reinforce and retain information on a topic.

- To play devil's advocate

It's never about "winning" per say. It's a learning process that will test your patience and aid you in attaining knowledge, so don't let these types discourage you.

Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level, and then beat you on expercience.

That's why I stay away from online arguments.

Don't waste your time lol

At least not on this website.