Renting agent refusing to refund deposit?

Tenancy agreement: 6 months 

Started in January. But we stayed until September. 

Since then we have tried several times to contact the agents through messages about repairs, we never heard back for 9 months. During that period we had people coming to check the house here and there. But during the last months it became very annoying as it was a constant having people around checking the house and not buying. Obviously we were not sure about if they were going to buy or anything. The letting agent wouldn’t answer. We moved out of the property last month on the 18th. After contacting the agent on phone. We wanted to make sure what to do next. Agree on a date and maybe end things peacefully. But the agent never once answered. Only after we moved that he began picking our messages or calls but just because he wants to withhold the deposit to cover the not given notice. He says that he doesn’t have to answer our calls, and kept making excuses on how we should have used emails (because it was the only thing didn’t use, my mom didn’t give me their emails) and calls are faster. Shouldn’t  the letting agent be the first point of contact for tenants? 

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Sure, the letting agent would be the first point of contact. You failed to give proper notice so you owe another month or two of rent, depending on how much notice you were suppose to give. What don't you get about "written" notice? Do you realize that all those phone calls you made to him - you could have been charged with harassment? Your landlord is very patient. Many landlords would have evicted you for harassment. Learn what is acceptable behavior and what is not, and within your contract. Did you even read it?

• 2 months ago

Did you give notice as required?

Was the lettings agent the contact in your lease?

• 2 months ago

I do live in the UK. I know about the notice but the agent would not respond. And it was our only point of contact

• 2 months ago

what country are you in? in the US, doesn't matter what the LL did or didn't do in the last 9 months, you still owed legal notice and to pay for that notice. typically if you did not give notice before Sept 1, you owed all of Sept. if you moved out without notice on Sept 18, you still owe for all of Oct.

SO WHAT IF THEY DON'T RESPOND..YOU STILL NEED PROOF OF NOTICE, NO LAW REQUIRES THEM TO RESPOND..

you simply send WRITTEN notice with proof and you are covered.

• tay2 months agoReport

I do live in the UK, tried calling the agent several times

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.