John asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 2 months ago

How old does a child have to be to know?

How old does a child have to be to know that the man that is raising her (loves her as if she is his own daughter) is her mothers brother not her father? She knows that he told told her British mother to leave the Americans name blank on the UK birth certificate, and to not allow her to visit the USA before her 18 birthday, for child custody reasons.

Trying to keep your niece from knowing her dad is CRUEL, John. You and your sister should know that. ALL children have a right to know BOTH of their parents. As for when she'll be old enough to realize that you're her uncle and not her father, I would say when she's old enough to read and start to write on her own.

He must hide anything from that child as soon she has mothernal feelings.She has the right to know everything.

I think it depends on what the child's age is, before I can give you a concise answer. I'll say this labels are just a label, it really doesn't matter what he is called (father, uncle etc), because at the end of day, he is the one raising her, and has been all along, nothing changes.

My sister has two sons who are the result of invitro (aka sperm donor), she and her husband both decided upon this years before their birth. They don't know that they are half-adopted, and even if they did, it wouldn't matter to either of them! Both are close with their father, and he is truly their parent in every sense, label's be damned.

Why make a non issue into an actual one?

Unless they're married, a woman cannot put

man's name as the father, on a birth certification, unless the man accompanies the mum to register the birth. So that explains that one.

What ever else your poorly worded question is trying to get at I don't know. Perhaps try a few English lessons before the next question.

Are her mother and uncle living together as man and wife? Because that's incest, which is both revolting and forbidden in many countries. If not, then why not tell the child that he is her uncle and that her father returned to America?

• y

I believe it should be done from day one and as the child grows, they can decide/define.

Some people tell their children the truth from day one. Some people never tell them the truth.

The problem with letting the cat out of the bag is that the person discovers that they've been told a very big lie for a very long time. Some people can deal with this better than others, while for others, this betrayal and dishonesty can destroy trust and end relationships.