Is gender identity about if a person has a penis or vagina ?? In the lgbt community?

• Sky

Gender identity is about the sense of self awareness and self identity. It's a matter of, "I know I am a guy" or "I know I am a girl". Gender identity is hard wired into the brain, making the brain's gender independent from the physical sex of the body. Most often those two align, making the individual cisgender, but for some people they differ with the brain's gender being opposite the physical sex, making the individual transgender. So, gender identity is not about if a person has a penis or a vagina, but instead it's about what the person knows oneself to be regardless of what's between the legs. Some individuals have a brain that's wired a little bit for both gender identities, making them feel they are both male and female at the same time or sometimes male, sometimes female. The brain and the biology that develops it are incredibly complex.

• Robin

no as gender is how they act, ie masculine or feminine

• reme_1

in my mind yes but I do not speak for everybody.

No. Gender identity is a person's perception of having a particular gender, which may or may not correspond with their birth sex

Gender identity refers to the gender you believe you are, that you identify with, regardless of your anatomy or X and Y chromosomes.

It's a feeling inside your head. Or possibly your soul. That no one except trans people feel. If they're not making that up too. Frankly, I'm skeptical. I sure as hell don't have one. I don't know anyone who isn't immersed in trans ideology who's ever felt it.

Gender identity is about the size and structure of the corpus striatum, a region of the brain which is just superior to the brainstem in a roughly coronal position, bisected by the median line. This should not, however, be confused with gender, which is social and economic class based on one's presumed relationship to reproduction.

"Is gender identity about if a person has a penis or vagina ??"

No.

Every single person on this planet was born with a gender identity. Gender identity is programmed into the brain during fetal development. Gender identity is how we all internally perceive ourselves in a gendered way.

While most people are born with a gender identity that matches the body they were born into (termed being cisgender), that is not true for everyone. People who are born with a gender identity that doesn't match the gender they were assigned at birth can be intersex or transsexual/transgender.

Gender identity and sexual orientation are separate things.