Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 2 months ago

Can I refuse a pelvic exam?

So I’m 21 and got to go to a gynaecologist next Friday because I’ve not had a period but I really don’t want a pelvic exam, I’ve been reading about them and I don’t feel comfortable with what happens. 

If you are not examined, you cant be treated

Honestly if you havn't had a period it might be medically necessary to do one. I know it sucks, trust me I have had plenty of exams and some abnormal findings, so I can understand why you are hesitant. Pelvic exams are scary and nerve wrecking but if you find a good doctor she or he can ease your anxiety about them. Mine is totally professional and she explains everything to me before she does anything. I go for my yearly pap smear next month and I am anxious but I know it has to be done. Talk to your doctor about why you don't want one. They might have to so they can diagnose you with something right then wrong.

• Orla C

Just go and talk to the doctor about it.

And as for the actual physical exam, they'll be wearing gloves. They are just going to check that everything is healthy and in good working order, it doesn't hurt but can be a little uncomfortable - but it is necessary to get it done from time to time.

I am about to be forced to have all my womenly inside parts removed because I didn't go for smears for years after my husband died even though I went all the time when I was young so now I feel terrible and stupid. So you need to actually have these things done. If I had been having them done it could have been a much smaller operation.

• Amaretta

A complete hysterectomy can be done laparoscopically with the tissue removed through the vagina. It's not the big invasive surgery that it was years ago. I had my surgery done on a Monday and was off painkillers by Tuesday night.

• Marc

It is understandable to not want to have a person you dont know poking around down there, however, you may want to consider the consequences of not having a proper exam. In most health cases, early detection is key. So the earlier the problem is located, the quicker and earier it is to resolve the issue. A few minutes of discomfort may the difference between life and death, having children or not or being healthy or being sick. It is your right to refuse any medical procedure you choose, but being informed is key. I would talk to the Dr before the procedure, share your concerns and have an open and honest discussion about what is going to happen. Im sure the dr has had these conversations over and over and he or she will be the best one to put you at ease.

Without a pelvic floor exam, what's the use of even going to the appointment? Unless you like to spend money for nothing.

That negates the whole point in going to an OBGYN.

Relax and let them do what they need to do.

You do realize that you are defeating the entire purpose of going to your GYN in the first place. How do you expect to get a diagnosis and solve your medical/reproductive issues if you won't allow him or her to properly examine you? You are being completely ridiculous in this situation. Its normal to be a bit afraid on your first visit. You should still go forward with the exam because neglecting pain or reproductive issues could lead to bigger problems in your future.

You can refuse the exam. That is your right. I am not sure why you would bother seeing a gynecologist if you plan to refuse a gynecological exam. You are making it difficult, if not impossible, for them to diagnose your problem.

If you want to refuse a pelvic exam then why are you going to the Doctor?