Lawn mower blade. Striking wrench with a hammer?

To get the nut tight enough I used a wrench and hit it with a hammer. Is this enough force to tighten the nut safely?

Dear Dr. Chunklite,

Hyou: I wish to commit violence act. Me: I have to share this on internet, breaks confidence clause. Now we are here, you espoused. I think you lean the lesson. I take on this problop and you cannut do this thing again. I did not expect. I still heb you, LANMOWER (spell it right, next time) have feelings for him too. Trickles into absurdity for you benefit. Anyway, I dunnot no why you strike wench with hammer, but this is not good. It is ILLEGAL in Bosnia. I show yous tudy of Bosnian ret popolatin. Rets esposed to VIOLENT RAGE (purple pill) more likely to DIE then rets that can sleep. I can proob it! If you sit down, I put open jorbi in your lap. He open to page 7700, the page that is good for you! But you cannolonger see because you strike jorbi with hammer (der violentakt) and he cry. Now I have to explain bad biolence to you MYSELF. I think you are very bad (cannot see docur). I THINK. REALLY.

Dr.

Bjunkliter

Source(s): PhD

The blade rotates in the opposite direction that the nut tightens, so a bit of overkill.

can't tell. the usual way is to wrap the blade with a thick rag and then use that plus the ratchet handle for leverage

It is not needed. When the blade turns, it turns to tighten the nut with every engagement of the blade. So, after a season of starting to cut (that is going to be several hundred hits with the hammer TIGHTER THAN WHEN YOU INITIALLY PUT IT ON. Besides that it does not rely on the one nut. There is a second nut or a cast catch to hold the blade in place. so it should be 3 bolts not 1. Or it is one bolt and two Ttits that stick up in holes in the blade to hold it in place.

• Nuff Sed

I have had many mowers with a blade attached using only a single nut.

• Paul

For 15 years that is the way I removed and reattached my Lawnboy blade. I locked on to the nut with vice grips and give it a good rap.

• chris

Walk behind mower blades should be installed between 38 and 50 foot pounds of torque. Riding mower blades should be installed between 70 and 90 foot pounds of torque.

I would say you are above these specs, but if you want to be sure, you should buy a torque wrench.

That's unnecessary, hand tightening with a decent wrench is perfectly adequate. Now you'll have a struggle to get it off again.

overkill ..the direction of rotation means its self tightening ..tightening by hand ..with a wrench ..without the hammer is enough

Sounds like overkill. [Ruining the threads would reduce safety.] The nut should be self tightening (just like car lug nuts) so hand tightening with the wrench should be enough. If you wish, to check your work (tightening) use a torque wrench.

Source(s): several blade removals and installs on my mower

I guess that would work as long as the wrench was tightly on the nut.