Cory
Cory asked in SportsFootball (American) · 1 month ago

Does the NFL pay opposing fans to travel to LA and fill up the stadiums?

Otherwise those stadiums would be empty.

Theres no way EVERY fan base can afford to consistently fill up the opposing stadium every week.

If so how BIG IS LOS ANGELES. Youre talking Steelers fans AND 49ers fans in a city of over 10 million people. Where are they putting all these people?

You be suprised how many people can actually afford to come cross-country buy hotels and tickets to go to NFL games. Many do it cause they cant get tickets in Pittsburgh or Green Bay so they decide to go to the road games instead. Also, you mentioned that Los Angeles is the second largest city in America and has a large metropolitan area so its full of many people who are from other cities who carry their loyalties with them. Not to mention that for the past 20 years, which is an entire generation there was no pro football in Los Angeles so its only natural that people would adopt new teams.

I think the Chargers are helped considerably in terms of their home stadium not looking like a ghost town by the fact that they're playing in a tiny soccer stadium. The capacity of the Chargers' current stadium is 24,000 (!!) seats smaller than the next smallest NFL stadium (that dump in Oakland) and every other NFL stadium is over DOUBLE the capacity of the Chargers' current soccer stadium.

What that means is, if 15,000 visiting fans (Steelers, Packers, whoever) are in a "normal" sized NFL stadium, they only take up 1/4th or less of the total seating. In San Diego however, 15,000 visiting fans would comprise HALF of their stadium's capacity... which is probably why it kinda looked like a Steelers home game last night.

So the NFL doesn't have to pay anyone to fill up San Diego's stadium in 2019, mostly because they only have to draw about 15,000 home fans to Chargers' games to fill it if visiting fans travel even remotely well. What I'll be much more interested to see is if the Chargers can begin to fill an ACTUAL NFL stadium in L.A. once it's built. I'm not convinced L.A. will support both the Chargers and the Rams, but I guess we'll see.

• Cory

15k fans? There shouldn’t even BE 15 seats available. That’s more than half and means that only 9k Chargers fans (not San Diego as you stated) actually wanted tickets and couldn’t fill the stadium.

If empty seats are available and tickets are affordable, it is just a short drive of about 4-5 hours (300 miles) for a fan in the Bay area to see a game in Los Angeles. It takes only a tank of gasoline or about $50 to make the trip and several people can ride in the same car. They can make the trip south and come back the same day after watching the game. Don't even have to miss work the following Monday. Both Raiders fans and 49ers fans made the trip in the old days, when the Raiders also played in LA. Of course, if the team is not winning, fans may not even show up in Levi's stadium in Santa Clara.

LA fans do not care much about the NFL. They draw bigger crowds for UCLA and USC football.

• Cory

Also a trip from San Fran isn’t 4-5 hours. Especially when you’re not the only one making the trek and LA traffic.

If they do I need to file a claim!I am a Packer fan and have travled to see them play at other venues out of my own pocket!Can't wait to see Packers in Vegas!!!

LA and for the most part California in general is one of those places people from everywhere end up in. Like Florida. Part of the reason why fan support there sucks so bad and why 3 different teams left LA in the past. 

As someone who's lived in FL (never again), I can tell you that you show up whenever your team did. 

• Cory

Except San Diego and St. Louis apparently and that says a lot about those fans who are loyal to their teams...but not the city the teams are from if they just abandon them.

Now why would the NFL pay to fly thousands from Pittsburgh to L.A. and back when it could just give the remaining tickets to people in L.A.?

• Cory

I’d take that bet. You see more Raiders gear in Compton. Do you know anything about LA?

No, Steelers fans travel well, also because the tickets are cheaper since the Chargers have no fans, so they buy Charger fans tickets

• Cory

Read the question. I said the stadiums were filled.