Need help on laptop?

I have a HP notebook "15 laptop. A few hours ago, I factory reset it, because it was extremely slow so I decided to delete everything, and made my laptop run 40% smoother. Is there any way I can make my laptop run like new again, as in buying it for the first time? Also, I wanted to know if my storage space is good and everything in the picture. 

• Dick

Your problem is the same as everybody else's is, unless you educate yourself about how to keep a computer running smoothly. Everyone forgets that the biggest change in a computer from when it was brand new and running really good is that everyone keeps adding more and more software to it. Generally speaking when you install software it typically adds a relatively small startup program which causes it to "run in the background" using up some resources, until you click on the icon to open the program. So all these chunks of software running in the background will eat your computers lunch unless you take positive action to turn them off so that they don't boot at startup. As an example Microsoft Office always used to install one of these "small" software packages so that if you clicked on the Word, Excel, or other icon it would open quicker than if this program wasn't installed. So the following are instructions on how to turn off the vast majority of the software "running in the background". Give this a shot, I'll guarantee it will improve your slowness situation. <<<<< Slow Computer – Disable Startup Items

Generally if a computer "used to perform well" and now it doesn't I always suspect what is starting up and what may be running in the background. Most software during the install process will set itself up to start at boot up with everything else. The goal would be to have as little starting up as possible. Basically all that I normally recommend is to have Windows, antivirus, and possibly an anti-malware program booting up. You really don't need other programs consuming your resources if you are not currently running them. So here's a simple way to disable a lot of unnecessary programs from running. Go to an open area on the Task Bar and right click once. In the list that appears left click on Task Manager. A small window will open. In the row of tabs at the top of the window lift click on Startup. This displays a list of the programs that are booting up and running in the background. Too many things running simple consume your ram and some CPU resources. Look over your list and decide what you don't need to run all the time. For example, if you are a Chrome user there is no need to have it running all of the time unless you are currently browsing the web. To stop it simply left click on it once to hi-light it, and then go down to the lower right hand corner of the window and left click on "Disable". You'll see the word "disable" in the third column so you'll know its status. Now go through the entire list and disable as many unnecessary programs as you feel comfortable with. You can always go back later and "Enable" any program if you so desire. Once you've disabled as many as you can, simply Close the window, and then reboot your computer. Go back to the list and double check it to ensure it's as you want it. You should see some improvement in your computer's performance. >>>>> Good luck and I hope this helps.

• Seth1 month agoReport

What do you mean by reboot? Do you mean restart it?

The biggest thing I can recommend would be to upgrade your computer to an SSD. Solid State Drives are similar to hard drives in that they store data, but SSDs are much faster than hard drives. SSDs have no physically moving parts, so loading files is much faster than a hard drive.

The only downside currently is that SSDs are more expensive than hard drives (per gigabyte) currently. However prices are always dropping. On my HP Omen laptop, I have a 1 TB NVME SSD and a 1 TB hard drive. My Windows installation and a few games are on the SSD and my documents, pictures, videos, etc are on the hard drive.

I don't know which laptop model you have, so I don't know exactly what upgrades you can make in terms of storage. On some HP laptops, you can have 2 hard drives (or 1 SSD and 1 HDD), in others you can only have 1 HDD or SSD and in others you can use an M.2 SSD+ a HDD or SSD.

The other thing that will help is to as many programs as possible that you don't use. HP and other OEMs like to include a bunch of useless programs in their PCs. This typically includes "helper" programs, diagnostics, product surveys, product improvement, updater, etc. These are known as "bloatware" programs since they only take up space and slow things down.

Also disabling as many startup programs can help speed up your boot times.

As far as if the space you have is good, it depends on what you plan on doing with the system. If you're going to store tons of pictures or videos, you'll probably run out of space quickly, especially if it is high quality video.

If you're just using it for Word documents or other small tasks, it will be fine.

If this were my laptop, I would just do a clean install of Windows without any HP garbage. Just download a fresh copy of Windows 10 from MS, create a bootable flash drive, delete all partitions (including recovery), and just clean install Windows. Then just download all of the drivers for that model from HP.

• Henry

I don't think that should be slow now.

• Enigma

Install the free versions of Wise Care 365 and IObit Uninstaller. First, uninstall all unnecessary software. Secondly clean the hard drive. Thirdly,defrag the hard drive.

• Eva

Run disk cleanup and then defragment it. You should have done that first before wiping everything off. Hope there wasn't anything there you wanted.