Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Please Help with engine fluids???? ?

So I currently own a Dodge Ram truck and it's an EcoDiesel.     on the owner's manual it says I need to use "Mopar"coolant and "Mopar" oil....but I can't find that name brand anywhere in my city.    Can I use a different brand ????what should I do in this situation?????

• zipper

Mopar is Chrysler oil and you get it from the dealer, any good oil will do around 20/40 weight, just ask the guy at the parts store what he would use.

What tripped me up is you drive a dodge ram so... you a fool

You can use any equivalent MY VW says only use G13 it is red so i Use red equivalent what colour is yours red or green do NOT mix colours

as for the Oil  Pennzoil UltraTM 0W-40 is the equivalent and probably cheaper

• hart

they want to make the money on you

Mopar is a Chrysler oil made by Chrysler. Actually it is the same oil as VW oil or Porsche oil or GM oil. Chrysler built a plant which bottles oil and sticks the Label Mopar on it. The stuff is the oil that comes out of any refinery, just that the bottle has a different Label. (its the same dinosaur psss). You pay extra for the name.

VW charges Double for their oil, but yet OIL can be bought at Wally's for GM cars.

Toyota sells their own brand name oil (which is the same as GM oil but costs more because it has the Toyota Label on the front(and you are paying extra for the label.).

. There is an oil specific for Ford. Nissan also uses Ford oil.

I think Dodge uses Ford oil.

While I am not certain on motor oil, Automatic Transmission...the can is marked Type F (meaning Ford) That is also the same fluid as Power steering fluid.

Dextron is GM automatic transmissions

I believe Coolants are brand specific(GM is different than Ford)

Most of my work has been on GM vehicles...Ford & Dodge are more rare to come in but I would guess that there is NO SPECIAL FORD OIL FOR THE ENGINE. I don't remember having accidently picked up the wrong oil "ever" for my cars & I have bought a lot of oil since 1970.

Brake fluid is DOT 3 for all vehicles.

As for air, & oil filters they have a book at Walmart in the oil section that shows you your car and the filter code that it is suppose to fit. You never guess on that because there are many different sizes and shapes.

If you have a different auto parts store in your area, they will have the same info and the guys in there can help you get the right stuff for your car./truck

When in doubt, you ask the guys who work in automotive. They know more than just how to tie their shoelaces. It's their job to know, and if one don't know, maybe he got transferred from women lingerie, so ask another person. They can't all be newbies.

• Cap'n. America

Brake fluid Varies like eye color. Harleys once required Dot 5, now Dot 4. Try Dot 3 and Void your Warranty..

hey wats hup man

• JetDoc

"Mopar" is the brand name for Dodge/Chrysler accessories and products. You'll have to go to a Dodge or Chrysler dealer to get them.

You can't find that brand because it IS NOT a brand. It refers to the TYPE of oil.

• Cap'n. America

"Mopar" coolant and oil sure Sound like a brand. Just. go to Auto Zone and they will pick out a perfectly satisfactory generic, or even better.

• Ron

yeah you can use different brands just make sure you get the right viscosity oil and right coolant.