What does it mean when someone taps their book with their pencil when they read?

There is a girl in my class that taps her books with her pencil eraser when she reads. Why does this mean? Literally no one else does it.

One of my friends say that she does voodoo and stuff because of that and because she doesn't talk. She has no friends and apparently has no interest in friends either. She doesn't want to talk anyway.

Most of my friends and classmates say that she is just a retard in special ed because she looks retarded, stupid, and slow. 

I just think it's weird. She is a very weird person anyway. I'm honestly scared to talk to her.

That's fairly typical of people who work with ADD or ADHD or some other nervous tic. In cognitive behavioral therapy kids are often taught to direct their anxiousness into a specific activity because it tends to clear their minds so they can absorb the material they're reading. It isn't "voodoo" and your friends are cruel. This girl just sounds like someone trying hard to overcome some problems she didn't ask for. The last thing she needs is you and your pals making that more difficult for her.

Maybe she is just nervous or something

To each their own judge and not be judged if you're that scare of her because of her appearance demeanor quietness etc maybe you should watch what you say and to who before it gets back to her because when people feel threatened or feel mistreated you never know how they may respond to negative reactions to them minding their business and as mentioned either befriend her and leave her along .

They are nervous I'm guessing

Its just her way , she's just doing her thing in her own time , befriend her .

loads of people do that. its not just her. i do that sometimes when i feel bored or impatient. your weird for thinking its weird.

Doing this is a sign of stress. It could be that this girl was bullied a lot when she was learning to read and so she has learned to calm herself with the pencil tapping. Don't be scared to talk to her. She's probably very very lonely.

The idea that you are trying to interpret such a thing is very odd. It's like asking what does it mean when someone blinks.

its probably a nervous habit

• Mike G

It doesn't mean anything.