Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

I was given an apartment quote, but the apartment cost rose. What to do/say?

I recently inquired about an apartment and went to the leasing office to do a tour/walk-through. She handed me a paper with a quote for the apartment which was initially in my price range. I unknowingly did not see on the paper (in small print of course) that the quote would expire in a day and a half. I went online 3 days after the quote expired and the price for that exact apartment was listed at a different price.

Can I speak to the leasing office about this and still receive the apartment for the quoted price? it was originally 765 but now its 798 or so - but I feel I could get denied. I think it's ridiculous to charge one price for an apartment and then change the price in 1 to 2 days. It's causing you to rush and purchase the apartment without weighing other options!

What should I say when calling the leasing office about this tomorrow?

What you think is not their concern. It is how they do business. They are looking to rent asap, so months don't go by with an empty apartment and no lease rent. It is actually a smart way of doing business. You can ask them if they will consider renting it to you for 765 - the lower price but that is all. If they say no, then tough luck. Either pay 798 or look elsewhere.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.

This happens sometimes. There is a chance they are playing you, if you can wait wait. Price and avalibaility can vary a lot depending on the city.

• GEEGEE

you can certainly ask, but they have no obligation to come down in price.

Never be afraid to negotiate. A smarter move would be to shoot for a price below the number originally quoted. But you won't have the leverage to do so until you have made an application and become approved as a tenant. So what do you say? "I would like to fill out an application". But to be honest you sound new so you may want to first find out the income requirement to become a tenant just to make sure the application won't be a waste of time (and money) for you. Good Luck.

i would talk to the leasing office about it

You either accept it or you don't.

• Judy

What part of the quote expiring do you not understand? You can ask, but you don't have any argument if they say no. And btw they want it rented asap, it's not at all ridiculous - they have lost $25 a day for each day it sat empty while you dithered.

They're probably using pricing software that changes the price based on traffic. If they had a bunch of tours and leased a ton of other apartments, that price went up. If they had no tours/leases, the price would have likely stayed the same (I've even seen them go down). It basically bases pricing off of supply and demand in real time. Super frustrating to work with, equally annoying for renters as they're making decisions.

You can certainly ask about honoring the quote. The property manager may make an exception but, most likely, they'll need to stick to their guns due to fair housing laws.

That was some type of promo deal for a limited time and you missed it because you didn't sign a lease.

• hamel5

Sounds like a sales tactic. A lease is a contract that both sided need to agree on. Ridiculous or not - it's their apartment and they can alter the price until the lease is signed.

Offer them $775 and I'll bet they'll take it.