caridwen asked in HealthMental Health · 4 weeks ago

Can my parents force me into a psych ward? ?

I finally decided to open up to my mother about my mental health and she did not take it well. To be clear, I only expressed how I’ve felt depressed for a long time and recently it has taken a significant turn for the worse—I did not express suicidal tendencies (although they are there) or any will to harm myself. I overheard her discussing with my father about taking me to a state psych ward so I can spend 90 days with, and I quote, “kids who have real problems, because I am done with her overdramatic bullshit.” 

If any details about my life are necessary: I am 16 years old, living in Pennsylvania, USA. I have no criminal record and a spotless disciplinary record at school. I am also a straight A, multiple AP-class and honor-roll student. I have plenty of friends. Recently, however, I quit my job and my long-time swim team over bullying, harassment, and stalking.So, bottom-line, my question is:Can my parents force me into a psych ward against my will? What are some steps I should take to fight against it? 

Yes they sure can if you are a minor.

• LAN

Yes they can. They can, at the very least, order you put under observation if they have reason. They can also allow them access to your Yahoo answer account to show just how often you post about wanting to die or hurt yourself.

You have no choice you are still under there guidance until you reach 18 they can do whatever they see fit to help you .

They are the reason you are suicidal! My God a little extra attention affection and love wouldn't hurt from your parents! They may be narcissist, look up narcissistic mothers and father's see if you see any similarities. And even entertaining getting you locked away for 90 days when you JUST expressed you are suicidal is a sure way to get you to kill yourself even faster! If you have any other family to live with try that.

In the real world parents are supposed to be grown up enough to realize a persons level of mental strength depends on their maturity. A person needs to experience a bad time on the smaller things before they grow up and realize it can get a whole lot worse. In other words for instance you should never tell a 13 year they're being petty. At their age they may genuinely be depressed even if because of some tiny reason. Depression at the end of the day no matter how a person got depressed can lead them to doing drastic things if nobody takes them seriously. Depression is not entirely just a choice, once you're there you're there. Could be because of a bad breakup, because of lost loved ones or because somebody raped you. There is an obvious difference in the level of severity in those 3 problems but all can lead to depression. Depression should be taken seriously no matter what.

I would think it must be ordered by a court but since you are still a minor Child Protective Services may be able to do it.

• .

If the doctors agree you need to be there, they can. But parents can't do that without just cause.

Yes, if you have told them you have mental health issues AND you are a minor, they can send you to whatever hospital they choose. Nothing you can do about it, unless you have Tom Cruise on speed dial.