Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

How to know your temperature without a thermometer?

How do you know?

You will not "know" the temperature.

But there are signs you can go by depending on what you are doing.

For the temperature of a human, to determine fever, place the back of your hand on the forehead if it feels hot then chances are there is a fever. If this is you and there is no one to check your temperature a high fever will produce sweating, chills.

For checking to determine if poultry is done stick a sharp knife int the thigh about half way to the bone. Withdraw the knife. If the juices run clear then there is a very good chance the chicken is done. There will be carry over cooking that will increase the temperature by about 10 degrees.

For a steak hold your hand open, palm up. Press the fleshy part at the base of your thumb. That is what raw feels like. Press the thumb to the pinky finger press the fleshy part at the base of your thumb this is what well done will feel like. Each finger will indicate a different doneness. From the raw of the open palm to rare, medium rare, medium, medium well to well done. This is just a guide and it you have a real good steak please get a thermometer.

For candy there once the sugar has dissolved when you drip a bit of sugar mixture in cold water it will go from

Thread, where a drip will produce threads in the water at about 230 degrees

Soft ball, where a drop forms a soft ball at 240 degrees

Firm ball, a drip will form a firm ball at 250

Hard ball at about 260

Soft crack at about 285

Hard crack at about 300, this is a solid hard candy

Use The Back Of Your Hand, Not Your Palm. ...

Look At Your Cheeks. ...

Take A Peek At Your Pee. ...

Ask Yourself (Or Those Around You) If Your Body Temperature Makes Sense. ...

Try Taking The Stairs. ...

Check In With Your Pain Levels.

• IvaB

You should post to a more appropriate forum.This is cooking and recipes.

• denise

I dont think you can 'know', Just if you feel too hot or cold.

• SG

You can't know your exact temperature until you actually buy one. They're only a couple of dollars.

• Lolly

Start with the timing of the recipe. Then your sense of smell. Looking at the food bubbling and juices clear. Experience and judgement.

A thermometer is only a couple of bucks. Get one.

You can make a functioning thermometer with a paperclip, a beer bottle, and a piece of bacon.

I neither know nor care unless I fear I am feverish.

• Justin

I have learned over time to tell by the smell, texture and juices whether something has reached the right internal temperature, whether the thermometer says so or not. I actually don't even use one anymore. If you miss all of those signs, you can even tell while eating whatever it is, since high bacteria levels do irritate the nose and throat, the meat smells and feels 'different' and vegetables are hard or unevenly textured.

There are sophisticated recipes where temperature differences are crucial for the dish itself, but this can be recognized by carefully watching changes in the food and making the necessary adjustments until you have the desired effect. Intuition helps, but that tends to develop over time and practice also.

If this question is about body temperature, it unfortunately got placed in the wrong category. That tends to be 'read' by hand feel, bodily symptoms of the patient and other related symptoms like face coloration or lack thereof, sweating, etc...

• Greg

You cannot without a thermometer. You may be able to recognize a fever by comparison to another person. I can tell I have a high fever because I will have chills, a red face, and dilated pupils while my temperature rises and then sweats as it drops.