Why is it whenever I hear German, it sometimes feels and sounds like they're speaking English?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Pontus
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Best answer

whenever AND sometimes??? Make up your mind.

German and English are cousin languages:

1. Stress patterns are often the same (this is often untrue of other foreign languages, roughly speaking)

2. Basic vocabulary is often related. Sometimes it still sounds similar or the same.

Note though: there are plenty of differences. There are sounds that the other language lacks. There are plenty of vocabulary differences. German is highly inflected; English is mildly inflected. Word order can be different.

One example where the languages sound similar: Mein Haus ist braun. Pronounced as (Mine house ist brown). Means: My house is brown.

Change that to: Our houses are yellow, and it's less similar: Unsere Häuser sind gelb. Pronounced, roughly as (Oonz-ruh hoy-zuuh zint gelp). note: (uh & uuh are different sounds that are hard to represent in English phonetics).

Saying that the two languages never sound alike is simply false, as is saying they always sound alike.

• 1 month ago

It's called hearing what you want to hear.

• ???????????????

• 1 month ago

It sounds nothing like English. I have been to Germany and seen people speaking it. It doesn't sound like English.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • James
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

because German and English are related

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.