I haven't done my taxes in years. Long story.  Does anyone know what the deadline would be to get them in? ?

I know that October 15th is the deadline for people who've filed extensions for the previous year. 

I've heard you can go back and still file your taxes going back three years. So that implies that there must be some kind of deadline for people wanting to go back a few years like me. 

• zipper

Either go to H&R BLOCK OR CALL THE IRS!

• DIEGO.

this is a good question!

• Amy

The deadlines were April 15th of each year. If you owe tax for any of those past years, you also owe interest on the amount you are paying late, AND a penalty for missing the deadline.

In fact, taxes are due throughout the year, through withholding from your paychecks. If you underpaid by a lot in any particular year, your interest and penalties go back to earlier deadlines.

The 3-year limit is to claim a refund. There is no time limit for the IRS to bill you for unpaid taxes.

So for the years that you didn't file and you owe tax, you should file ASAP to stop that penalty from increasing, and pay as soon as you can (or contact the IRS to set up a payment plan) to stop the interest from accumulating.

For years that you are owed a refund, if the deadline was less than 3 years ago you should file before that time runs out. The only reason to file for those older years is to have it on record so the IRS doesn't decide you owe more.

The October deadline is an extension to file - payment was still due by April - and only applies if you filed for an extension.

• Shay

It is based on the April deadline because you probably didn't file any extensions.

• B

get a tax lawyer to help you through this, expect possible penalties

• Eva

You can file as far back as you want, but the IRS will not issue refunds on taxes that are more than 3 years old. If you owe, however, they certainly want you to pay up + penalties + interest.

• NA

October 15, as per publication 17.

If you aren't getting a refund, then there's no specific deadline; you can file at any time, although you'll pay the maximum lateness penalty.

To get a refund, then you have to file within 3 years after they were originally due. After that, you can still file, but you won't get the refund.

• NA

Per publication 17, including extensions.

You can file as far back as you like. Refunds you can only go back 3 years to get. Currently you can file tax years 2016, 17, 18 for refunds.

The deadline is LONG PAST.

The last day to file and claim a refund is 3 years after the ORIGINAL due date for the return. That means anything prior to the 2016 tax year is too late to claim.

The deadline for being charged for taxes you OWED in any given year is 3 years after you actually filed. That means the clock for the IRS to assess overdue payments hasn't even started.

Update to Comment: The deadline is based on the ORIGINAL due date in APRIL. Extensions don't count. If that goes over your head, you CAN'T know you would be due a refund.

• Jb1 month agoReport

I've got a refund coming for each year. I certainly don't owe them money. So I'm assuming Oct15th must be the deadline to file since for each year I filed for an extension

• Judy

You can go back and AMEND your return for 3 years, and still get any money that's owed to you - after that, any refund is lost. There's no deadline on how far back you can file, you just won't get any refund.

• STEVEN F

DEAD WRONG. You can't amend a return that was never filed. you have to go back and file an ORIGINAL return using the forms and laws for the year in question.