Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 4 weeks ago

How to write a flirting scene?

I have to write a scene where one character tells another classified information to impress them, from the character who is given the information's POV. I have no problem writing manipulation, but I'm not sure about flirting. Anyone have any advice how to go about writing that kind of thing?

• Andrew

Flirting isn't science. It's art. In fact, it's similar to comedy in that it's all about reading the audience and adapting one's approach according to how the audience is responding. Without knowing anything about the characters involved in the discussion, it would be impossible to script a dialogue that would sound authentic and suit the story. But generally, flirting and comedy bear some similarities because laughing and smiling is what puts people at ease with one another. There are people who I love talking with because we see eye to eye or because we share a lot of the same interests, but even that's nowhere near as enjoyable as talking with somebody who makes me laugh and with whom I share a good laugh. I don't know what your characters are like, so I don't know what they might find funny. But you created them, so you ought to know. If you don't, you haven't done a very good job fleshing them out. And I don't know what kind of classified information one is sharing with the other, but it seems irresponsible and dangerous to share privileged information with strangers, so the bigmouth is likely not the brightest bulb in the chandelier and might not realise that he's endangering them both.

• Marli

Dewey 306.73

LC subject headings

Flirting

Interpersonal relationships

Interpersonal communication

Man Woman relationships

It's probably not different from manipulation. Smiles. Complements. Showing interest in and attention to the targeted person. Looking attractive and attracted.

One of the best pieces of advice I have received about writing is to never write about anything you do not understand thoroughly. Experience and personal observation are very good teachers. Since you have no clue, don't attempt it and change your story line. Otherwise people will recognize your ignorance and lack of realism in what you write.