Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

I told 999 I tried to kill myself and no one ever came to help me.?

On Friday night I got black out drunk at my friends 18th birthday party, when I got home I took an overdose of about 20 propranalol pills (beta-blockers). I almost fell asleep, I guess if I had I wouldn't be here right now. But I realised what I had done about 5-10 minutes after taking the pills, I made myself throw up and called 999. I told them what had happened, they said it was a non-emergency as I had thrown up which made it non life-threatening, they said it might be a while before anyone came and they hung up. I ended up passing out at about 3am and I woke up 3 hours later with no sign of anyone. The next day I was extremely dizzy and ill. Its now Sunday and no one has come to check if i'm okay, will anything happen now? I dont know what to do.

999 if a user name on here doesnt care. Hate to break it to you. If a legit phone number which I dont know of in my country then they are the crazy ones. You got a hacker intercepted.

No one cares.... Tell your mommy.

• Autumn

Take your meds, your BPD needs controlling.

• Tavy

Friday night in the UK, 999 dealing with hundreds of calls, heart attacks, stabbing, road accidents , serious stuff, and you phone and say I've taken the pills but thrown up. You were concious and lucid, no wonder you were low priority. You could have gone to A&E yesterday if you felt ill.

Sorry no sympathy here.

• what the hell do you think you're doing? the nhs and 999 service is not for clowning around, they're for serious life threatening emergencies.

• 1 month agoReport

you are kidding me right, i wasn't ******* clowning around i tried to kill myself .

First order of business is to get checked by a doctor. Go to the A&E / Emergency Department of a hospital.

Then, when you're feeling better, contact your elected representatives on the Council or whatever public agency administers the 999 system in your area and ask if they can find out what the hell happened here. This is obviously a bad problem with either 999 Dispatch, or the local law enforcement / medical authorities, or somebody, that needs to be fixed.

• Tavy

She was wasting their time, she had thrown up the pills, she was lucid. They are not going to send out an ambulance for that.

What strength were the Propranolol, 10mg or 40mg?

I'm assuming 10mg tablets because of your age. It actually takes a lot of Propranolol to kill you, what you took wasn't a fatal dose. It will however lower your pulse and blood pressure for several days so you will feel physically awful until it's out of your system.

Friday nights are the busiest for emergency services and it's possible that paramedics came your door while you were passed out and went on to the next job when you didn't answer.

I was very ill once after an opioid overdose and it took 10.5 hours for the ambulance control room to phone me back to see if I still needed assistance as they were that busy even though it wasn't the weekend. By that time I had regained consciousness so I told them not to bother.

If you're still having suicidal thoughts it would be best to head to A&E to speak to the mental health crisis team and while you're there get checked over to put your mind at ease.