hu asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

What are some examples of narcissistic personality disorder in daily life? ?

Some examples of how one with NPD May act in daily life, for e.g thinks they may do or say or how they may react in common situations etc. 

I’ve done research on this disorder since I’m convinced my friend has NPD but I can’t seem to find many genuine examples of how narcissists act in daily life. All I see is how vain and abusive they can be which IMO is just negative stigma, I know it’s common for one with narcissistic traits to lack empathy but I know for sure like any other personality disorder there’s other symptoms.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Kathy
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Narcissistic personality disorder isn’t quite the same as self-confidence or being self-absorbed. Not every friend who’s a little into themselves has full-blown NPD. But a true narcissist is someone with narcissistic personality disorder (NPD). It’s a mental health condition characterized by:

.an inflated sense of importance

.a deep need for excessive attention and admiration

.lack of empathy for others

.often having troubled relationships

What this ends up causing, is selfishness at the (usually extreme) expense of others, plus the inability to consider others’ feelings at all.

Even if you know the official diagnostic criteria for NPD, it doesn’t usually make it easier to spot a narcissist, especially when you’re close with one. It’s usually not possible to determine if someone has NPD without the diagnosis of a qualified expert. So do not try and diagnose your friend by yourself.

But to help spot a possible narcissist look out for these beheviours:

1. They were fun AF… at first. Maybe they tell you how smart you are or constantly talk to and compliment you, even if you’ve just met each other. Narcissists think that they deserve to be with other people who are special, and that special people are the only ones who can appreciate them fully. Your friend probably loves to entertain. But this is often short-lived. As soon as you do something that disappoints them, they could turn on you. People with NPD will try to manufacture superficial connections early on in a friendship/relationship.

2. They hog the conversation, talking about how great they are. Narcissists love to constantly talk about their own accomplishments and achievements. If your narcissist friend volunteers once, get ready to hear about it for the next five months. They do this because they feel better and smarter than everyone else, and it also helps them create an appearance of being self-assured. Narcissists will often exaggerate their accomplishments and embellish their talents in these stories in order to make others jelous. They’re also too busy talking about themselves to listen to you. The warning is two-part here. First, your friend won’t stop talking about themselves, and second, they won’t engage in conversation about you. Picture the friend who corners you at parties, whispering excitedly about their latest act of altruism and accuses you of being ungrateful if you can’t see they’re the most supportive listener you’ve ever met.

3. They feed off your compliments. Narcissists may seem like they’re super self-confident. But, most people with NPD actually lack self-esteem, so they punish everyone around them for their lack of self-confidence. They need a lot of praise, and if you’re not giving it to them, they’ll fish for it. Narcissists use other people to give them a sense of self-worth. But because of their low self-esteem, their egos can change very easily, which increases their need for compliments. The main difference between folks who are confident and those with NPD is that narcissists need others to lift them up, and lift themselves up only by putting others down. People who are actually self-confident won’t solely rely on you, or anyone else, to feel good about themselves.

4. They lack empathy. Lack of empathy, is one of the hallmark characteristics of a narcissist. Narcissists lack the skill to make you feel seen, understood, or accepted because they don’t grasp the concept of feelings. Does your friend care when you’ve had a bad day at school/work, fight with your friend or with your parents? Or do they get bored when you express the things making you mad and sad? That this inability to empathise, is often the reason why many, if not all, narcissists’ relationships eventually collapse, whether romantic or not.

5. They don’t have any (or many) long-term friends. Most narcissists won’t have any long-term, real friends. Dig deeper into their connections and you may notice that they only have casual acquaintances, buddies they trash-talk, and rivals. As a result, they might lash out when you want to hang out with yours. They might claim that you don’t spend enough time with them, make you feel guilty for spending time with your friends, or berate you for the types of friends you have.

6. They pick on you constantly. Earlier on in your friendship, your friend showered you with compliments, but these days they make you feel bad more than they make you feel good. Maybe at first it felt like teasing, but then it gets mean or became constant. Suddenly, everything you do is a problem for them. They’ll put you down, call you names, hit you with hurtful one-liners, and make hurtful jokes. They want you to know that you’re not better than them. What’s more, reacting to what they say only reinforces their behavior. A friend will ask you for help, and you gladly comply. This is what friends do. If your friend is narcissistic, your act of giving advice will eventually be used against you. 'Everyone else likes my ideas except you,’ this person might say. ‘You’re jealous and want me to fail'. When it comes to criticism, a narcissist can dish it out but can’t take it. If they’re a true narcissist, nothing is likely to change, and you’ll be stuck in the same “take, take, take” rut. If they knock you down with insults when you do something worth celebrating, get away.

7. They gaslight you. Gaslighting is a form of manipulation and emotional abuse. Narcissists may spew blatant lies, falsely accuse others, spin the truth, and distort your reality. Signs of gaslighting include the following: You no longer feel like the person you used to be, you feel more anxious and less confident than you used to be, you often wonder if you’re being too sensitive, you always think it’s your fault when things go wrong, you’re apologizing often, you make excuses for their behavior.

8. They think they’re right about everything, and never apologise. Fighting with a narcissist feels impossible. There is no debating or compromising with a narcissist, because they are always right. They believe that their way of seeing things is the only way. They won’t necessarily see a disagreement as a disagreement. They’ll just see it as them teaching you some truth. And because they never think they’re wrong, they never apologise. About anything. Good friends are able to recognise when they’ve done something wrong and apologise for it. Initially, it may seem like they’re trying to help, but they’re really trying to manipulate you and convince you that your opinion is wrong.

9. And when you show them you’re really done, they lash out. As soon as you back away, a narcissist will try to keep you in their lives. If you insist that you’re done with the relationship, they may make it their goal to hurt you for abandoning them.

NPD, like most mental health or personality disorders, isn’t black and white. Narcissism falls on a spectrum, which means everyone is different. Some people will be more severe than others. Like others have said, Trump is a perfect example of a severe narcissist.

Remember: This isn’t meant to diagnose. Do not diagnose someone yourself. Having just one of these signs doesn’t make your friend narcissist. But do you recognise your friend in a majority of these signs? Your friendship may be salvageable, but it hinges on them recognising that your connection should be built on mutual caring. Say something like, ‘We’ve been a big part of each others’ lives for as long as I can recall, and I want to keep it that way. When you yell at me, it hurts precisely because I care about you so much,’. When you interact with a person with narcissistic habits, you need to stay strong. Expressing yourself this way with people who are narcissistic reminds them of your shared connection, maybe reducing their narcissistic tendencies. If you believe you should be treated as equals or if you ever confront them about theirr bad behavior, be prepared to get dropped. If they definatley aren’t capable of an empathetic response, ask yourself how much you stand to gain from staying friends.

Reevaluate whether or not you have a healthy friendship. You need to be realistic about what to expect and whether the upside of the relationship is sufficient to balance the downside. You might be entertained and have moments that are exciting, hilarious, or bizarre when you are with someone with NPD. But, at the end of the day, it’s likely that you are the one that is going to have to hang out with them, call them up, schedule your day around their plans, do what they want to do. In addition, you shouldn’t have any expectations that the friendship you have with him will be enduring. And this is assuming the narcissist is actually fun to be around.

When your pal’s narcissistic traits begin to negatively affect your life, for your own sanity, GTFO. You cannot change a person with NPD or make them truly happy by loving them enough or by changing yourself. Essentially, you’ll never be enough for them, because they’re never enough for themselves. The best thing you can do is cut ties. Offer them no explanation. Offer no second chance. You’re not responsible for their behavior, but you are responsible for taking care of yourself.

• 1 month ago

Just turn on the TV news at any hour of the day or night and you'll see Donald Dump exhibiting every single one of the classic symptoms.

• 1 month ago

Just watch Trump in public - he's an original specimen. In private he's probably even worse.

• LAN
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

People posting "I'm ugly" rants here daily to get people to bolster their ego.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.