Oreo asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo Answers · 1 month ago

Why are the people on this site so toxic now? ?

So I haven't been active on this site since around 2015 (I haven't even changed my name/pic since then, heh), & at that time, the other people on here were relatively nice to each other & willing to help each other out. But nowadays, they're just so grumpy & rude, you can't even ask a question without getting shot down. This is supposed to be an advice site, not a "scold the curious" site. & I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get attacked for asking this, but I know I'm not the only one who has this question. So, what do you think happened? 

• Jim2

They always have been. But I agree, it's getting worse now. Just an unfortunate trend, I guess.... 

But If I owned Yahoo, guaranteed this place would be cleaned up in a month!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are toxic people because most of us are here on Yahoo! Answers for teh lulz.

• Doc3 weeks agoReport

Yep, a lot of my commenting is done on flights for my buisness and i usually try to upset people. I have someone currently for more than 24 hours disliking everything i comment. I just wish i know what id said to set them off so i could say it again. Good for laughs though, likes dont mean a thing.

gyygggg fjfjfehwhdhdhr

• .

"This is supposed to be an advice site,"- actually, no it's not. It's supposed to be a knowledge seeking site for people to ask questions seeking factual information or to benefit from someone else's experience.

When the YA Team was let go and Yahoo prepared to sell the company, there stopped being oversight of YA. With no one watching what was going on here, trolling and abuse flourished, glitches became worse (no maintenance), and quality users got tired of the nonsense posting and the constant technical issues with the site, and left. So what's left are some quality users (some who have been around a long time and others not long-timers) and a lot of trolls, kids, and bored people who don't care about the rules here but use the site as they choose (because they know there aren't going to be any significant repercussions).

That's why. Just like everywhere else on the internet, that isn't strictly moderated, you'll find a lot of unhappy people venting their spleen or exhibiting their insecurities and hate for themselves, by projecting it on others.

• Oreo4 weeks agoReport

Yeah that's what I meant by advice, as in asking questions in general. & some people do come here for advice not necessarily for knowledge purposes, just for extra insight.

that’s just how it is bro.

Even lately it seems some helpful and kind regular users have not been posting much, if at all.

Maybe they are getting tired of the nasty users on here who are not getting permanently banned by Yahoo!

Full moon brings out the assholes They are pissed about Trump!

They have no life.

Between the loss of any moderation and the bot attacks which drove off good users, you see the results.

Give you a hint...what happened in 2016 that gave bad mouthed people a go ahead to be unfriendly and toxic. What bad mouthed, foul mouthed leader of the free world came into power and threw the etiquette books out the window with his public toxicity?

Anyway, that's why Answers is so toxic now; mean mouthed people have been given the go ahead by our current leader. Vote in 2020.

• oldprof

And thanks for the thumbs down; you have verified that I've hit a responsive chord with you foul mouths.