Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Best way to politely decline ppl asking to hold baby? Some ppl are always bothering other ppls' kids and don't understand, not everyone?

wants them to try to hold their kid or start asking all sorts of questions. Some ppl just want their kids to not be bothered by these ppl. Some think it's impolite not to automatically try to be involved with other ppls' kids, but what's impolite is trying to be involved and the parent hasn't even asked you to be involved. Some ppl don't want ppl holding their kids. They risk having someone drop the kid or anything, a million things could go wrong. Ppl just really shouldn't try to involve themselves unless they're asked to by the parent. Some ppl automatically take it upon themselves to give other ppls' children all sorts of unwanted attn. They start talking baby talk, making googly faces, hugging on the kid, etc. Then it's, "Can I hold him/her?" What's best way to politely, without being rude, get these people to back off?

"He/she still isn't used to be held by anyone but Mom or Dad so let me give you a raincheck to hold him/her once he/she gets acclimated to the wider world."

• Ramona

Smile as if you are flattered they are interested in your baby then say, "sorry, I don't let others hold him because last I did that, the lady didn't know she had a cold but passed it to my baby. So for now on, I just don't allow for it".

People can't take no or the truth as a fact, they only respond to a lie better.

I like that saying, "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!" lol

If you are the parent you just say NO.

• Jerry

"Oh no, Baby has been expose to something contagious and I could't risk passing it on to you." DO NOT offer any further information. If they what Baby was been exposed to, you say "No please; really I couldn't let you." If they tell you they are willing to take the risk, you say "No please; really I couldn't let you." You can break with up with phrases like "Oh no, it's out of the question" and so on, but you get the idea. Just keep saying that you can't and refuse to engage in argument on the matter.

• Laurie

You don’t need an excuse. You just need to say no.

If you want to be gentle, you could say something like, “Thanks for asking, but at this point, Ilm keeping him/her all to myself “

just tell them youd rather not pass the baby around