Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

My 13 year old son told me that he is starting to lose faith in God. How do I punish him?

People, especially teenagers, who 'lose faith in God' aren't REALLY losing faith in God. They are losing faith in the PEOPLE who claim to know God, but act like complete dickwads. The contradictory behavior prompts the loss of faith.

As you well know.

You do NOT punish him!!!

Remember God is with you and him and everyone else all the time, even if he is lacking faith.

The great Irish comedian, Dave Allen, used to finish his act with ' May God go with you!!!'.

God goes with you , but do you go with God!!!

Remember also, if he has sinned/trespassed we as for forgiveness, for if you sin and do NOT ask for forgiveness, then God will bring down retribution on the sinner.

So you do not punish him , because you are sinning. You must ask God to guide him back to faith.

Try discussing it with him, sometimes young people having a conversation with them could mean the world, I am a new Christian, but if no then just respect that you have an Atheist for a son - GOOD LUCK!

• daylily61

Connor--welcome to the Lord's family 🙂 God bless and keep you in His love 🌹

You should definitely NOT punish him. Rather, merely threaten him with eternal torture in hell. That should clear up the problem in short order.

Update: I've come to realize that many fundie Christians here are not familiar with the concept of irony. That's as it should be. Irony is not very compatible with the fundamentalist belief system.

Source(s): Inspired atheist
    • daylily61

You're right, but irony is also hard to convey through this online format. The reader is not necessarily to blame when he or she can't pick it up.

by not lying. he learns by example

• opinionated

Kill everyone who has religious views that are different than your own.  Deuteronomy17:2-7

Reading the bible is certainly brutal punishment.

• SBR32277

@pugjw9896, I did take note since I was investigating. I am fully aware of jw.org and they do not have the truth, no religions do.

You don't punish him, you correct him. Could it be that the way you are living is an example of him loosing faith in God? Are you setting a good example for him? There is a lot to think about when one of your children make this statement.Pray about this.

• ?4 weeks agoReport

Put him in God's hands, as well as praying for him daily, like a mother should.

Oh, yeah. Punishing him will make him love God more.

You're an idiot.

Does it not seem to you that punishment is not only entirely inappropriate but also counterproductive? I wonder how many atheists reading your question were influenced by that kind of behaviour, without which it might have been a mere phase.

I'd start by not trolling on here any more and unleashing all your troll energy on him.