Bret asked in Science & MathematicsWeather · 9 months ago

Will the name Katrina ever be used for a hurricane again?

Also how Hurricanes get their names?

• TQ

The World Meteorological Organization retired the name Katrina in the Spring of 2007

Katrina will never be used again for an Atlantic hurricane but it is possible Katrina will be used for a hurricane in one of the world's other ocean basins.

Hurricane names are chosen each year by the United Nation's World Meteorological Organization (WMO)

http://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/www/tcp/Storm-naming...

The WMO maintains and rotates six lists of names for each ocean basin where hurricanes/typhoons/cyclones are observed. Names are retired if a storm had particularly devastating or tragic effects.

Here is a list of this years names and upcoming years.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml

Source(s): Meteorologist.

NO its be used by my friend to name her cat

The lists of Tropical Cyclone names (called Hurricanes in the Atlantic and eastern Pacific, and Typhoons in the northwest Pacific) are maintained by the World Meteorological Organisation.  Names of storms that cause extensive damage and/or loss of life are retired otherwise the names are reused. As the lists shrink due to retirements, new lists are required every few years.

Names are submitted to the WMO by the countries issuing Tropical Cyclone Warnings and they are required to reflect the names used in the countries submitting them. If your name has not been used for a storm up to now and is not on any current list, you can suggest it to your national weather service, if it issues TC warnings, for inclusion in the next list.

• Zirp

No, the names of the big important ones that do a lot of damage are not reused. I don't see why people call it "retired"

• CarolOkla

Would you prefer the word "scrapped"? What is your problem with semantics and your constant not picking?

Not in our lifetimes. Why would it? There is not a shortage of female names starting with K

No, and neither will Ike, Betsy, Camille Edith, Sandy, Marie, Wilma or Andrew. Those have all been permanently retired.

The World Meteorological Organization has a list of names that gets reused every 6 years, but the permanently retired names are never reused.

The Weather Channel has been naming winter storms for a number of years. The current one is Aubrey. That is totally unofficial.

I was born in New Orleans and did a lot of growing up there. The greater New Orleans I grew up in is gone. I've lived south of Moore, Oklahoma for more than half my life, BY CHOICE. I feel lucky I escaped Louisiana when I did. I've sold my New Orleans house, which did NOT flood during Katrina. A piece of my heart will always be in New Orleans, but in my head I am 4th generation Okie and proud of it.

The National Hurricane Center suggests names, but the World Meteorological Organization, maintains and updates the lists.

https://public.wmo.int/en/About-us/FAQs/faqs-tropi...

• CarolOkla

https://public.wmo.int/en/About-us/FAQs/faqs-tropical-cyclones/tropical-cyclone-naming.

Probably not because it was such a significant hurricane. If they do, it won't be in this life time.

No. It’s been retired so it’ll never be used again. I believe it is the deadliest hurricane in US history so it would be insensitive to have a hurricane named after one of the worst hurricane ever. Some people are superstitious so it might bring bad luck.

Hurricanes are chosen by the national hurricane center. Names are repeated every 6 years unless it’s retired then new names are added to replaced the retired names. There’s no particular method in how the names are chosen.

• CarolOkla

Black Sunday April 14, 1935. She had the lung capacity if a 5 year old that probably lead to an early death before her 55th birthday.