Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 2 months ago

Is it ok to take acetaminophen as a heavy drinker?

I am a rather heavy drinker (more than 4 drinks a day). I woke up this morning with a horrible headache and took just 1 tylenol. I haven't drank any alcohol in around 16 hours, but I don't know if this may or may not still have an adverse reaction.

Can being a heavy drinker cause liver problems if I take a tylenol but haven't drank in more than 12 hours?

Update:

I know that heavy drinking can already cause horrible liver problems with or without tylenol, but can taking tylenol while you're a heavy drinking cause issues regardless of whether or not you've drank that day?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

I wouldn't recommend it

• 2 months ago

The liver is damaged by both!

Just 3000mg of Tylenol a day can cause serious liver issues.

Drinking too.

Add them up and you can kill your liver, literally!

• Frank
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Yes, it can be damaging. Why are you such a heavy drinker? If you can't go without alcohol, you're an alcoholic. Go get help. What a waste of time being drunk is.

• 2 months ago

ok but not absent all risk. The added risk is very small. There is no special interaction that creates a new health hazard in that situation, so you more or less have precisely the same risks that you get from tylenol, alone, or heavy alcohol use, alone. It is not as though you are taking a large amount of acetaminophen.

I am not a doctor so take my advice with that in mind.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

No it's not ok, i guess.

• 2 months ago

Yes. Acetaminophen is perfectly safe. It's cardioprotective.

• mokrie
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Drinking heavy causes liver problems by it self.

• 2 months ago

I asked my Dr. about that.  He said you should never drink more than three drinks a day OR take Tylenol with alcohol. 

But in your case, you're okay!  Four drinks a day will kill you eventually, so the Tylenol is free!  8^)

• 2 months ago

Being a heavy drinker kills your liver whether you take Tylenol or not...

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You might want to call a pharmacist and ask them.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.