Air Force and college?

So I was thinking about joining the air Force when I graduate high school, I want o also go to college, I know that air Force also helps with college tuition. Would I be able to go to the college of my choice and live in the dorms?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • RICK
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

After you get off active duty you sure can

• 4 weeks ago

Look up "Community College of the Air Force", see if that may be an option

• 4 weeks ago

if you join the air force, your NOT going to college

the military pays for college, AFTER your 4 year enlistment

during your enlistment your gonna be working 8 to 12 hours per day

• Daniel
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

The military pays Tuition Assistance WHILE people are in the military.

• 4 weeks ago

You could go to the Air Force academy

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Daniel
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Your 'choice' of colleges while living in the dorms include whatever schools are in the local area of your base (which in many cases might be a community college and Podunk State), whatever schools offer classes at the Ed Center, and online classes.

You aren't going to be taking any classes until you have your 5-level and any OJT done.  

Between the limits on TA and your schedule, you won't have time for more than one or maybe two classes per semester once you are able to take classes.  

• Mrsjvb
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

not if you go active duty.    TA does not kick in until you have been at your first duty station( no training counts) a minimum of 12 months.   it is limited to $4500 a year or 16 credits.  you MIGHT be able to take one class at a time.  realistically, you are talking 24 months

in

before you can even start inquiring as to how you can start taking outside college classes.

If you go Reserves, there is quite frankly crap for Tuition assistance,  but you are in college full time. 

if you go Guard, most states will give you full tuition( but not room and  board) at any state-run public school, such as the SUNY  colleges in NY

if you want them to pay for all tuition, fees and books, and be able to attend any school you want, the GI bill is the answer, but even it has a ceiling for costs limited to state-run school tuition.  so any private school, you will need to finance the overage.  and the book stipend barely covers 3 classes worth.  yopu cannot use the GI Bill until you get out of the Militaey after having served at least 36 months post training and gotten an honorable discharge.  

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Active duty or Reserves? Impossible to answer without knowing that.

• Ryan
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

There are 3 commissioning sources: (1) Air Force Academy, (2) ROTC, (3) OTS.

1: Air Force pays 100% and you live in dorms.

2: College is anywhere that has Air Force ROTC. You can live in the dorms. You may or may not get tuition assistance.

3: The Air Force isn't even a consideration until post-graduating. Go where you want, live where you want, but you're paying for it.

• STEVEN F
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

The question DID NOT say anything abut being an officer and the USAF has MANY enlisted members.

• Bill-M
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

While on active duty you don't attend college full time.

What you can do is see your base Education Officer and sign up for College classes. You attend the class during your Off Duty time. Most military bases have these classes on base.

• Matt
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

While active duty AF, no. Reserves, yes.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.