What PC part should I upgrade?

I have a i3 6100 and a gtx1050, which one should I upgrade first

Favorite Answer

It really depends on the tasks you perform with your current PC. If you're mostly concerned with Gaming then upgrade the Graphics card first.

Dual Core CPU's with multithreaded capabilities like the older Core i3 or the modern Pentiums don't seem to fare well with Graphics cards that are beyond the level of the GTX 1660 or RX 590. However, paying anything over $200 for a Core i7-7700k is a poor value and IMHO $200 is too much for a 7700k. To make matters more confusing, Intel's next Generation processors will supposedly bring 4 cores with Hyperthreading to the Core i3 lineup, and 6 cores with Hyperthreading to the Core i5 line. If you can't get a good deal on a 6th or 7th Generation i7 then you might as well get something like the Core i5-9400f, the Ryzen 5 3600 and a compatible motherboard to go along with it..... or you can wait for Intel's new parts. You could also look at a 2nd Generation Ryzen 5 or 7 CPU with a new motherboard.

The Core i3-6100 performs similar to the Pentium g4560 in gaming. A couple years ago a few reviews of the Pentium g4560 were published. I'd suggest searching for those reviews because this will give you a baseline on how your CPU performs.

Basically it depends what you wanna do with that! If it is for modern games you have to check their hardware requirement first then go for update accordingly!

• YKhan

The Core i3 definitely! A dual-core, even if it is 4-thread simply won't do with modern games anymore.

• Andy T

The Core i3 should go first, it bottlenecks some non-visual tasks.

neither. if you need more power/speed at all, consider getting a new computer or rebuilding the whole thing -- cpu, mobo, ram, and gpu

i3 6100......................

I usually look at the task manager to see what is under max load while running a program/game to know what to upgrade. I was having issues with FTB and FSX, where my cpu was maxed but my GPU was only 25%. I upgraded the cpu to a Ryzen 2600, meaning I needed a new MB and RAM. Playing both games, my cpu is barely breaking a sweat and my GPU is now up to 40% meaning my old cpu was choking down my GPU. So run a program that you are having sluggishness with and monitor your cpu, gpu, and ram usage to see if anything is maxed or near maxed. That is what you should upgrade.

• A.J.

It depends upon the game. Most gaming performance is about the graphics processor. There can be large variations in frame rates when a cpu is very weak, but the i3-6100 is at least "OK". Newer games need stronger CPUs. You may need a stronger power supply in upgrading the graphics card. You also need to assure it fits, especially in length. From your system, you get more in cost out of a gpu upgrade while you look for a tested used i7-6700 if compatible to the motherboard

A GTX 1060 6GB version in Battlefield V in High Quality settings should get about 82fps in 1920x1080 with the i3-6100 and about 102fps with i7-7600. With a GTX 1050 in high quality settings, the i3-6100 should do about 57.5 FPS and i7-7600 about 69 fps. So, in Battlefield V High Settings, i3-6100/GTX 1050 starting at 57.5

the CPU to i7-7600 gets you about 20% and probably more stability, but to GTX 1060 6GB you get 43%. Slow website gives guidance.

https://www.gpucheck.com/cpu-benchmark-comparison

Be sure to check compatibility of parts, or provide all system detail so people good with pcs can look it up.

• Fred

You have a 4-1/2 year old PC. You can't upgrade it economically because when are finished you will still have a PC that is pretty old.

If it still does what you want, stick with it, save your money and replace it when you can't stand the performance any longer.

whichever one you want to upgrade first