Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

do most newer vehicles have much more horsepower than previous model of vehicles?

or why does my 1993 Toyota V6 3.0 liter engine seem to struggle to keep up with the flow of traffic on the interstates?

people just fly by me (but I do the speed limit or slightly under)...why do they go so fast? everybody just runs you off the road if you do even slightly below the speed limit, has it always been that way? or why, when changed?

While more modern vehicles do tend to be more powerful than those of the previous generation, your 1993 Toyota should be able to maintain the speed limit of most areas under most conditions.  I have a 1993 Chevrolet with a Detroit Diesel with mechanical fuel injectors and I can do 80 MPH while towing 8,000 to 11,000 lbs.  While I don't expect your Toyota to win any races any time soon, it should be able to maintain interstate speed limits unless there is an issue, or combination of issues involved. 

Some of those issues are environmental and there is nothing that can be done to resolve. One I can think of is going up hill.  Going up hill is strenuous for some older vehicles, even my truck, especially when towing.  Another is operating at high elevations.  Some areas, such as in Colorado, have elevations that exceed 11,000 ft above sea level.  Here the air is 32% less dense, meaning that the engine would take in about 32% less air mass, which results in a reduction of power of about 32%.

Other issues are with the vehicle itself.  These issues result in a loss of power and must be resolved in order for the vehicle to operate properly.  Some issues could be with the engine itself, or engine management.  Some that I can think off would be air restrictions.  If the engine cannot breathe, then it won't run well, if at all.  An air filter that is clogged with dirt will choke an engine.  Also a restricted exhaust will prevent an engine from breathing.  I just purchased a cheap car that had a top speed of 20 MPH, with the pedal to the floor.  I cut the catalytic converter out of it and installed a new one.  Now it accelerates as it should and cruises at 80.  The converter was clogged and prevented the engine from breathing.  Ignition problems will cause a loss of power, but unlike a clogged catalytic converter, a problematic ignition will be obvious due to the engine misfiring, while a clogged converter will simply limit the speed without any obvious issues.  Common failed ignition components include spark plugs that have eroded from age & use, spark plug wires that are leaking (the spark flies out of the wire and onto nearby metal instead of staying inside the wiring and firing the spark plug), or failed ignition coil.  I think that back in 1993 the Toyota's also had distributors, and if so, the distributor could be out of time.  A distributor set with the ignition timing retarded (the ignition fires the spark plugs late) will make a car run slow, and do it without the obvious misfire.

Engine management could also have problems, such as Mass Air Flow sensor that isn't working correctly.  This sensor tells the computer how much air is flowing into the engine, so that the computer can determine how much fuel to inject.  More air = more fuel.  Another possibility that could involve the Mass Air Flow, without the sensor failing, would be if the intake manifold or piping was allowing air to enter the engine without being metered by the sensor.  If the sensor can't read the air, the sensor won't tell the computer to inject more fuel.  So make sure to find any leaks and fix them so that all the air entering the engine has to flow through the sensor.  Fuel system issues can contribute, such as a failing fuel pump or a clogged filter.  The pump could be just strong enough to start the engine, but is no longer capable of keeping up with engine demand, so when the pedal is to the floor the pump can't give the engine enough gas.  A clogged filter can do the same.  Just enough can make it through the filter to start the engine and run low engine loads, but when the demand is high, the filter is restricting fuel flow.  Something else I've seen on a few cars, but it's kind of rare, is a bad gas pedal.  The pedal has a cable attached to it that opens the throttle body valve.  If the cable is damaged, it may not allow the valve to open when the pedal is to the floor, so then the engine can never respond to the driver's power demands.

Other issues could be the transmission.  Transmission could be slipping.  If it's an automatic, the transmission could be low on fluid, the torque converter could have failed, or the transmission needs  a rebuild.  On a manual, the clutch could be slipping.  If that's the case, it should be obvious because a slipping clutch will overheat in a hurry and will give a terrible burning smell.  Also on an automatic, it would be wise to check to make sure that the transmission is cycling through all its gear ratios.  It will slow down the vehicle if it can't reach it's final gear ratio.

Is the Toyota 4X4?  Make sure that the transfer case isn't stuck in 4HI.  I've seen a Chevy that had a transfer case stuck in 4HI and had a top speed of about 60 MPH with the engine screaming.

This is all that I can think of off the top of my head.  I hope it helps!

• Robsteriark

@M: Y!A when accessed from a phone browser has a character limit to answers. I don’t get any limit when I contribute via my laptop browsers (Safari and Edge).

I don't understand that

• don r

It's like that in Nevada, no matter what car you drive. Floor it when you first hit the ramp and don't let up. Your Toyota might be faster if you take the 500 pounds of junk out of the trunk. If you don't like going the speed limit, avoid the freeway. Yeah that 1993 v6 is quite thirsty, but driving like a snail will not put gas back in the tank.

• Cap'n. America

Nevada has had a speed limit for decades. You are thinking if the 'sixties, when it didn't. We went 75-80 across Nev. in 1969.

• D J

Older motors have more horse power but modern vehicles have more fuel efficient horse power.

Everybody is racing to get nowhere fast even with the cell phone and photo radar they go even faster out of being "self important". The newer cars do not have more horsepower, it is just that the drivers need a few speeding tickets to slow down...and drive like a rich person does...slowly.

• Geo

Yes, Newer cars have Direct Injection, Higher Compression Ratios and Gearboxes with more gears than yours. That all ends up making them quicker. But the drivers aren't any smarter. Just stay in the Right Lane and don't look in the Rear View Mirror. That's what I do, I do 65 no matter what the Speed Limit is. That speed is fast enough and the most you can do without wind resistance lowering your mpgs. I'm cheap. Some people want to do 85, let them.

• CB

As long as your not one of the dumbshits who believe doing the speed limit in the left lane or any lane left of the right lane when not passing is allowed then you should not be getting run off the road.

I don't know why it's changed or exactly when. Maybe around the same time people stopped voting for more Public Safety Bills. Anyway, even though I live in the county, I noticed around 4 years ago that people began to regularly drive 10-14 miles over the speed limit.

"or why does my 1993 Toyota V6 3.0 liter engine seem to struggle to keep up with the flow of traffic on the interstates?"

Cars these days are lighter than they were back then. Also, your engine is old. It may have a lot of carbon build up in the cylinders.

I wouldnt worry about it. My f150 straight six struggles to between 55 and 70mph. I quit even trying to drive with the flow of traffic and I just go 55mph.

Most dont realize how fast they are driving. My commuter car is a 2004 Taurus. It is so easy to be driving 70 or even 80 in that thing that often times I dont even realize im going that fast on the motorway.

Source(s): nothing

You just answered your own question.