Why isn't my electric water heater working?

So my brother drained it while the power was off he changed the hose because of leak and then turned it back on ... Its been 4 hours still no hot water. What could it be

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

I have no idea.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yeah, my first thought was. Tank is MT. Brother turned on the power. without first filling the tank with water.

...To do that, you open Hot Water taps in the house and you turn on the water supply near the meter(the tap that shuts off both hot and cold water to the house as all water entering the house is cold water. So the tank fills up with cold water and is then heated inside the tank. But if the hot water taps to the bathroom and kitchen are closed then the air can not come out of the tank to let in water.

. If brother just turned on the power he MAY HAVE BURNT OUT THE HEATING ELEMENTS IN THE TANK....WHICH MEANS you have to shut the water supply off and drain the tank and remove the heating elements and replace them.(if you are really unlucky that is.)

. I am going to go with...I hope you are the lucky ones that elements did not burn up. But 4 hours is a long time for an element that should not get white hot,& has been that hot. So am thinking they are TOASTED.

If you did do the deal with having the hot water taps open until cold water was gushing out and then you closed the taps. Then you look at the breaker box and switch every breaker off and turn them on right away. Water tank should be a double breaker. just like the stove and the clothes dryer.. My breaker box is in the same room as the hot water tank so when you flick back ON all the breaker switches, you should start to hear a faint hiss come from the water tank. (sort of sounds like an electric tea kettle as it starts to boil water (especially true on an electric element stove, where a pot of water starts to make a noise.as it starts to get hot.) Not immediately but within 5 minutes.

. The sound is a positive sign that one of the two elements is working at least. Which will get you hot water in 2 hours,(it totally depends on the size of the tank) A 40 gallon tank heats up much faster than a 60 or 100 gallon tank because of the sheer volume of cold water it has to heat up) Physics 001 Just live without having any tap on at all. Play a video game or something. Or call up the seller of the water tank and they will tell you if there is another "kick off switch" in your brand of water tank. Some have it on the tank behind a panel.(idiot designers)

Also, did you pay your electric bill? The lights in the home is the same electricity that is in the wall outlets and is the same power for the water heater.

• 1 month ago

turn it OFF! make sure drain valve is closed and turn water back on; then open a hot water tap somewhere ... leave it that way until you have a steady stream of water coming out. then close the tap. only after you've bled the air out this way should you restart the water heater. and yes, it may well take an hour to get hot

Source(s): grampa
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i would have someone with experience in it check it out

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Push the rest on the element controls located where each element goes into the tank.

Or possibly the power didn't get turned off until one of the elements was already exposed during draining and is fried.

• 1 month ago

Did he turn the water back on

• 1 month ago

You should have hot water in around 60 to 80 minutes. I suspect it has no power. Make sure the breaker for the water heater is turned on. Can also be the disconnect is off. Check them both if it has a disconnect near the heater.

• 1 month ago

make sure the pilot light is on, it could have been blown out when the work was done on it

• 1 month ago

If it's warmer than the cold water, it's working. Takes time.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.