Is it common for people to apply for the university courses that start in january?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Best answer

Actually, it is usually a bad idea to start school in the middle of the school year. For incoming freshmen, you miss orientation. For many two-semester courses, you are fouled up & may have to wait until the next school year to take, say, biology 1 in fall, and 2 in spring. Things like this can delay graduation. It may be difficult to obtain housing on campus, unless people have dropped out of school & freed up a bed in the dorms. You may feel intimidated by joining clubs & student organizations as many relationships are already in progress - you miss that "getting to know you" phase where nobody knows anybody else.

All things considered, you might not be happy with all this if you start in the middle of the school year instead of joining at the beginning of the regular school year.

• 1 month ago

That depends on the policies of the college, school or department. I started my second bachelors degree and graduate school in January at 2 different universities. The Newcomb College admissions committee never saw my application because I had graduated in good academic standing. Not many people started in January at Newcomb, which no longer exists as a a college at Tulane since the summer of 1989.

I started graduate school at the University of Oklahoma in January 1981. The graduate college does not care if you start in January, but it does insist you be accepted into a degree program. The School of Geology & Geophysics now has a policy that new graduate students have to start in August. The School of Library and Information Science has no such policy.

Community colleges and vocational technical schools usually have no policies that will prevent you from starting in January or May or June, but vo-tech schools have different terms. Online schools also have different terms.

• 1 month ago

i think it is common

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i think it is, it happens all the time

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

In the UK they start in September.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It's probably common enough, regardless of country, culture or university.

• 1 month ago

You aren't giving people much to work with. It's more common in the UK for instance that courses start at least around September.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.