Becoming a Social Worker?

I was just wondering if you can become a Social Worker with a Bachelors of Science in Family and Human Development. Is there anyone who is a Social worker with that degree?? I have to do classes online and that's really the closest they have and I don't want to just go ahead and do it and then it be a waste of time. 

Thank you.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Don't do it. Hard job little pay.

• MS
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Some states will allow you to take the social work licensure exam with a bachelor's degree in a field other than social work.  These are states where there is a significant shortage of these professionals.  You should research the requirements in your state, but you generally need a bachelor's in social work specifically.  Getting your MSW makes you even more marketable.

• 2 months ago

Social workers tend to be paid very poorly ($35,000 a year), so make sure the cost for college is worth it. It's a very stressful career as well. Make sure you don't take out a bunch of loans because you won't be able to pay them back quickly working as a social worker.

• 2 months ago

To be a social worker, you will need a degree in social work, preferably master's in social work (MSW).

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Mike
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

In the US, there is a difference between a case worker, who needs only a BA or BS in any subject, and a social worker who needs an MSW.

• 2 months ago

Please make sure that the social work program is *currently* CSWE-accredited, including for a BSW.  There may be more job opportunities for those with a MSW (master's degree in social work), however, which may include eventually opening up a private practice (though, preferably with prior work experience).

Please be aware that such a program may offer some online classes, but that may be with one of those for-profit schools.  If that's the case, their course credits usually do *not* transfer to other schools, even if the for-profit school is regionally accredited.  In addition, future employers may *not* view a for-profit school as credible and understandably so.

Please also know that the counseling/social work (and/or nursing) field is supposed to have a high burnt-out rate.

• 2 months ago

i would ask someone at your school this question

• drip
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

In the USA you would need a Masters degree.

Read requirement for grad school for social work,

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

i would ask a counselor at school about it

• pmt853
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

In the UK you need a first or Masters in social work to be a registered social worker.

Source(s): www.basw.co.uk
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.