How can I move to the US from the UK?

Anyone got any experience with this?

I'm 16 years old so still in school, would moving to the US to study when I'm 18 mean I get citizenship? Also, what skills are desirable by the US?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Lisa A
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Best answer

The only skills that can get you immigration to the US are things like a PhD in engineering or a hard science. Which you will not have for many, many years.

Studying in the US costs a fortune, and you return home as soon as your finish your course. It can not lead to citizenship. Student visas are temporary, non-immigrant visas.

• 4 weeks ago

At 18, the only way to move to the US would be on a temporary student visa; this doesn't lead to citizenship, is hugely expensive, and means you have to return to the UK afterwards

• 1 month ago

i would talk to someone in immigration about all this

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

you need to talk to immigration about it

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

No. Moving to the U.S. (at any age) does not give you citizenship.

The most desirable skill is farming ability. The U.S. has more than enough educated workers for its indoor jobs, but it needs more farm workers for its farms.

• Lisa A
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

The US does not need farm workers. The US needs farmers who will obey OSHA regulations and pay minimum wage.

• Greg
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Moving to the U.S. on a student visa would not get you citizenship.

• 1 month ago

Coming to the US as a student means you have to go back when you studies are finished. In order to come to the US and work you have to be sponsored by an employer who has offered you a job.

• 1 month ago

you would go to the consulate in your country, there should be one in every major city, but definitely in all the capitals, you can apply for a student visa, since your purposes for coming here are to go to school, this will allow you to stay while going to school and allow you to work while you are here

here is the US government website about Embassies and Consulates in the UK

https://uk.usembassy.gov/

• 1 month ago

While in school, focus on getting internships so can get an employer to hire you and be willing to sponsor you so you can remain in the US after your student visa expires, to ensure you can stay. Then after a certain amount of time goes by, you can probably apply for citizenship, or in that time, if you married an American, that could also probably speed up the process.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.